This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Blogger Benjamin Cain: Deaf to the Deaf

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

What maximally pretentious slop, what filth. Benjamin Cain references deaf persons as losers and sufferers. Now, since Camp introduced me to Rants Within the Undead God, I've stopped in a few times and read from the shadows. Generally, it's above par, informed, even enjoyable, but the aforementioned blogger, in referencing deaf persons (or deafness in the abstract) as he did bespeaks of, highlights an important issue. It can be summed up by quoting our German friend Mr. Nietzsche:

"Pity for all becomes tyranny for you, my neighbor."

Nietzsche knew that our would be benefactors are often far more detrimental to the economy of the being of 'the other' than the identified enemy of 'the other;' what happens is that while sensitivity to suffering may begin in a good place, 'the other' is often bastardized, squeezed through ideological mesh, and shaped/re-shaped to fit the ideological profile. Hence, for example, via antinatalism, deaf persons become sufferers and losers.

Deaf persons themselves, refusing to fit the ideological mold, very well might be so inclined as to tell Mr. Cain to take his bastardizing pity and cram it up his ass.

Edited by DeadCanDance
1 person likes this

Posted

I didn't get a chance to read that exchange very carefully, just skimmed at last night cuz busy at work, so will do so, but are you sure you're doing Cain justice here? For instance, of the Omega person, which label I believe Heretic objected to, he writes:

Instead of occupying herself with practical tasks, living as a healthy, functional member of a community like a busy ant helping to build its colony, the mystic, cosmicist, or omega person can’t fully engage with a mainstream culture for fear that this culture is, in the end, perfectly ridiculous.

Which sounds like praise, not disparagement.

1 person likes this

Posted

That definition sounds like praise, but for Deaf culture it still sounds like faint praise, because it only looks at the individuals from a mainstream POV, which is based on a medical one. Hence condescending.

There are Alphas, Betas and Omegas WITHIN the community. But no, not according to the mainstream POV.

:whatever:

Posted

Can somebody explain to me what alphas, betas, and omegas are?