This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The Conjuring

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is Annabelle the doll from the movie The Conjuring:

conjuring-annabelle.jpg

Here is the real-life Annabelle, bearing in mind that this movie is touted as relating events that really happened.

tumblr_mq7lvbgit61r6qfupo1_400.jpg

It's unclear to me which doll is creepier.

The movie got on my nerves in two senses of the term. It clearly was scary, and it gets on one's nerves in that sense. But as the movie went on, it got on my nerves in a different sense. How dare Hollywood peddle this stuff as stuff that really happened? And not only that, but we are supposed to believe that it's really true that Christianity is true, that demons are offended by the artifacts and icons of Christianity, and that exorcisms are real phenomena needed to evict demons not just from bodies but from whole houses.

Lest anyone miss the idea, words appeared on the screen at the end of the movie assuring us that the Christian God exists, as do demons, and we'd better pick the Right Way or we're in for hell! Not content with such ham-handedness, the makers of the movie then show us photos of the REAL family who supposedly experienced this stuff, and the REAL demonologists who supposedly helped save them (or con them, as the case may be).

Of course, all art is artful untruth, and as Picasso said, art is a lie that tells the truth. Unfortunately, I went away from this artful movie with the distinctly unartful notion that it was just pandering to American stupidity and gullibility, which arguably has never been greater than it is today. And this notion somewhat spoiled the artful scariness of the movie. From an artistic standpoint, I prefer movies like the seminal Linda Blair Exorcist, which never pretended to be true, but exemplified what artists actually do: Let's suppose, by hypothesis, that possessions and exorcisms are true. We don't have to claim they ARE true, just SUPPOSE they are true. How can we make art out of that?

Edited by davidm
2 people like this

Posted

I feel like this is a continuation of what is going on with television. Where the most popular shows on the History Channel and Discovery are about UFO's/aliens or "reality" programming that - in addition to being about the most banal subject matter available - is entirely scripted.

1 person likes this

Posted

After that review, I had to turn on "High Anxiety", so, there.

Unrelated but funny.

-Scott

Posted

As a younger man, I was of the persuasion that Satan had explanatory power. Surely, I thought, some variation of Zoroastrianism (of which Christianity has always been on the verge of embracing), of a transcendent malevolent power, is more reasonable than the naturalist story. From Hydrogen to Sade? This, it seemed to me, was more inspiring of incredulity than Zoroastrianism or the idea that the universe was created by a wicked demi-god. For, what explains the violent perversity and sadism coiled reposed in the heart of man? Such cruel perversity would seem to transcend Darwinian explanation.

Proof of God via Satan?

From Dusk Till Dawn:

Seth: "And if there is a hell and those son of a bitches are from it, there has got to be a heaven...Jacob, there's got to be."