This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Love War

2 posts in this topic

Posted

The story of life, of the universe, indeed, of being itself, is that of conflict and strife. What could be of greater peace than nothingness? Such as it is, existence is near synonymous with conflict. And herein lies the paradox coiled reposed in the heart of civilization: that this weapon against the cruelties of nature, the order of conflict, this weapon so instrumental to the fostering of survival, ultimately, in achieving in man a kind of sublimated immortality a la a post-survival state of affairs, disarms mankind.

Perhaps the hard truth, resisted at first but eventually embraced by our church of latter day necrophilia, is that the logical end of civilization, the would be order of peace, is the order of death.

Posted

I prefer the will to power to nihilism of that sort. There is agreement in the span of your statement, but now you honor victory for it's own sake over resignation. You back yourself into a hippy corner when you decide to not take part in conflict. It is false to say that you know more about war by not taking part in it, no matter how stupid war makes you. It is as absurd as saying, "We're all going to die anyway!" Violence doesn't make death worse. It is rather the long death, the peaceful death of resignation, which is worse than the short death in the throws of ideological passion, or just plain hatred. It is like the competition of men over women. Many men lose from not realizing, or even in denial, that there even is a competition. It is actually rare for competitions to require agreement to compete, in the same way that animals and plants compete for resources. Pacificism is an enlightened form of extinction. It is the same in that hippy corner. First, it is less honest to wage a war of judgment to a war of combat. Second, honest aggression, for what you believe physiologically, straight through, based on the relative value of things (even if all values are mistakes), is "healthy for the soul" to speak like Socrates. Third, and most importantly, the universe is in a perpetual state of irresolvable tension. There is no escape from this, one must be much more than a monk to meditate this away. Deep down we already have a stake in the fate of society.

The hippy corner was a pose all along, and also a gambit. It is both pride and vanity that says, "I reject your affairs. And by this, I really mean that in order to fight, you must come to me. Here I set the rules of debate and of judgment. I've been stewing on this for a while now. By the time you come, I will be most prepared." But long after, once pride eventually gives way, it asks, "You will come, right?"

1 person likes this