This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Usernames!

92 posts in this topic

Posted

Da means giver of that which is holy, or giving God's presence. Fire is what it is, but I give holy fire (smokeless fire :wink: ); among other things in relation to yoga and meditation. Da Fire one of the names I teach through in the tradition and culture I am creating.

Da Fire

Posted

I decided I needed a new Sn, a step up from "burnsk8er". I had no real passion to make an SN out of besides "sk8ing".

So I thought about my personality.

I'm not a "kyootibabi"

I'm not a "go lucky ducky"

At time time, I was feeling dull and over worked. Infact... that's rather how I feel now.

"Quitejaded"

Posted

BuckEye comes from the College I plan on attending The Ohio State. The Ohio State Buckeyes have always been my favorite team at the college ranks.

Posted

I usually use an owl avatar on other forums I have visited, so Nocturne seemed an appropriate screename.

The reason why I am not using the same avatar at the moment is simply because it was bigger than is allowed, so I might find an alternative in due time.

Note: If you are reading this and I have an owl avatar, you may be confused. The avatar I am using upon making this post of Bender from Futurama wearing a top hat.

Posted

Truth be told, Rooksarii derives from the video game character Rooks from the Super Nintendo game Arcana. I liked the name, and its reference to crows, etc, and added on the -arii after a discussion with my brother regarding the elven language used in Tolkien's writing. Over the years it has lived up to be a tried and true pseudonym for me, and honestly it is far removed from its somewhat mundane origins.

Posted

feronia's the etruscan goddess of fire and fertility and the roman goddess of freedom, all of which i either possess or would love to instill in others. freeman is an ode to dan freeman, the protagonist in "the spook who sat by the door".

Posted

I chose the name as a reminder to do more of it.

Posted

AllBlue is from Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, a favorite jazz CD. All Blues has been my favorite tune on the CD, but I just heard a Jon Hendricks led version of Freddie Freeloader, from the early 90s I think, that is over the top so some day I may be freeloading. :) Other names I have used are Green Dolphin and, a couple years ago, before this jazzy thang, SocratesMom.

Posted

Mr. D. came out when I first ventured on the world of internetian Forii. I was deep intrigued (as still I am today actually) by works from Neil Gaiman, and devised the nick out of two characters of his comics: Dr. Dee and Mister E. Plus, I thought that it could be read in many ways, as preferred by the reader ("D stands for many things...") and that too sounded good for me.

Posted

My appearance in this particular thread will be inglorious - since my user name is my given (first) name. Though I know that identity thieves lurk on the internet, I've never bothered to create a user name.

Thomas.

Posted

It's all associated thoughts for me... I have no idea how the name popped into my head. I just thought of the idea "random name" then an associated thought occured and I somewhat recalled a famous quote: something about random numbers being in a state of sin then God not playing dice (Einstein). I don't even remember exactly the first quote or who even said it, but I know Quantum is somehow associated with it.

Posted

I thinks!

No you don't!

I thinks I does!

Oh No, you don't, you know!

I thinks you'll find that isn't true!

Look! I've read the kind of crap you write and I can assure you . . .

You thinks what you like! I am here so that's proof, innit . . . I thinks!

Mick :)

Posted

A long time ago, I was playing Secret of Mana. Since at that time I was very unoriginal with names, I decided to name the characters after the people in the Zelda video game. I named the boy character "Link" in just fine, but when I tried to name the girl character "Zelda", I didn't move far enough on the letter selection screen (or was it too far?) and hit a "c" instead of a "d". I then promptly hit the accept button instead of the backspace button, and so the name became "Zelc". (I also made the same mistake on the sprite character, naming him "Ganom".)

Later, when I had to sign up for some account or other, I remembered this typo. Hey, this would make a great nickname! Very original, not named after anything (well, sort of), and I doubt anyone else would have it. And so my Zelc, my internet persona, was born. As a bonus, it has a few homonyms in Zelk and Zelck.

Posted

Makc is my actual name in cyrillic.

Posted

I'm not a Star Wars afficionado, but I chose this name because I like the simplistic good vs evil of the films. I also wanted to emphasise the soul of the jedi, rather than the fighting. Oh, the mis-spelling was deliberate. Someone else had already chosen "jedisoul" on the first site I used it on.

Terry

Posted

"Kushna" is a nonsensical word, among a series of nonsensical words, my friends and I became obsessed with and subsequently named ourselves after in the eighth grade. "Mufeed" is an Arabic word, meaning "useful", a nickname my parents have given me in recent years. Put them together and you get "Kushna Mufeed", my pen-name that I will hopefully publish my writings under.

Posted

Years ago when ordering a hamburger, I was asked -

Posted

Welcome aboard, Chopin. I hope you find something of what you're looking for here at TGL. Anyway, here's a little gift of sublime beauty: Nocturne #2 In E Flat, Op. 9

Posted

It's a long, complicated story...

It's my birth name, and has with it 26 years of heritage, growth, existential suffering and epiphany. And if all goes well, another 60 years of all the same.

Posted

I was in 5th grade, and we were coming back from a trip to Spain. Then we all decided to give each other nicknames. My friend got the nickname "pipoca" which means popcorn in portuguese. She carried on the nickname for awhile. I always thought it was the coolest nickname ever and I loved the fact that she spelled it with a "k" hehe. So as I was thinking up an email name for myself at the age of 9 I decided to go for pipocamel. I had asked her previously if I could use it and she didnt mind. "pipoca" for the nickname and "mel" is the last part of my real name. When I joined to the boards, I signed in as pipokaluvsswitchfoot13 and people decided to call me Pip. so...that's the story. :)

Posted

I have several names, sometimes because my favorite is already registered by someone else, sometimes because I just get tired of using the same name all the time.

My first screen name was Wallstar. I just pulled that out of the air thinking it was a word I saw every day. Then I started wondering exactly where I had seen it. I looked for it. I found it at work: the urinal screen in the men's room had the brand name Allstar in white, and from a certain angle the overhead light made a white reflection like a W, turning it into WAllstar. I had named myself after a urinal screen!

My next choice was SmartAZ. Back in the BBS days that was the name of a board run by the Arizona chapter of Mensa. I never liked the board but I admired the name so I swiped it.

After several years of being SmartAZ, and the obvious reactions from others, I changed my name to Wuzzat because I thought that reflected my feeling of wonderment in the world. But that only worked for one forum.

When I registered on a precious metals forum I chose to be Prospector. That has been well received, but it is a rather popular name so I have tried other names in other places: Saul Mine, Jewels Vern, and Oppucant. (I once received a letter addressed to Oppucant. I returned it with a note saying "Not at this address. The family here is named Redisent.)

BTW, if you google "wallstar" now you only get water heater dealers.

Posted

usernames...after a lifetime of choosing names like Zarathustra, or dionysus, or pseudanor, or orpheus, it seemed that I was only running away from the fact that I was nothing but, no more, no less than nivenkumar

Posted

"To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.":lol:

Posted

I was originally 'spacer' on the Internet Infidels site and had admired some of the writers there, and followed them here. I chose the anagram 'parsec' for this site since I wanted anonymity from someone (not from any philosophy forums), and it also represents my amateur interest in science, I guess, at a stretch.

Posted

I got my name from The Science of Discworld by Terry Pratchett, Ian Stewart and Jack Cohen. The authors argue that Homo Sapiens, Wise Man, is a rather arrogant name we call ourselves, and that Pan Narrans, Storytelling Ape, is a lot closer to the truth.