This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

World Science U - Brian Greene teaches special relativity (and more courses in the future)

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

http://www.worldscienceu.com

Unfortunately, it's not out yet, and Greene said that the real site will be going live sometime next week (he stated this today march 6th).

Here's what he said:

The idea is to create next-generation online science courses which make the abstract ideas of science visual, interactive, and exciting. We are starting with two pilot courses on Einstein's special relativity--one is purely conceptual and the other is mathematical. All are filled with animations that show how time slows and space compresses, and so on. In time, we will add other courses in math, physics and the other sciences too, biology, chemistry, astronomy.

The site will go live next week and new courses will be announced in the coming months.

Apparently he's currently talking with a handful of other researchers who are interested in the project so they can contribute.

This is going to all be free by the way.

I just want to say:

This is fucking awesome.

I am so hyped. The hype train stops for NO ONE.

I remember reading one of his books, "The Fabric of the Cosmos" when I was about 14. That was my introduction to special + general relativity which completely annihilated my brain at the time.

I'm ready to have my brain annihilated once more.

Edited by Michio
3 people like this

Posted

Site is up.

I'm gonna be reviewing math in preparation for the quantum mechanics material.

"Heavy use of calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and elementary classical mechanics."

Oh god...

I'm going to start on khan academy.

A lot of people don't know this, but MIT open course ware has select courses called "OCW Scholar". These are very in-depth and complete classes for the self-learner.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/ocw-scholar/

They have single and multivariable calculus, diff eq, linear algebra, classical mechanics etc. It is great.

Please join me on this journey.

Posted

Yale also has some great material available. I assume you would enjoy Schiller's Financial Markets and Geanakoplos's Financial Theory.