This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

What else can I read or watch?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I'm looking for books (fiction or nonfiction) or films pertaining to social/power dynamics and social dominance. In particular, I'm really interested in the dark triad (narcissism, machiavellianism, and psychopathy). I've never actually read The Prince. Should I read it?

I want to explore the techniques and behaviors of the dark triad, so I can use them for my own benefit and to protect myself against these personalities in my professional life and social life. I'm not looking for anymore information about sexual strategy/pick up. I'm good on that.

Maybe good examples of Don Juan characters? I don't think I've read any stories (fiction or nonfiction) about a Don Juan.

Some relevant stuff I've seen:

Kevin Spacey's character in American Beauty - the transformation of a beta male to an alpha male

Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross - psychopathy/narcissism

Ben Affleck in The Boiler Room - narcissism

American Psycho - the ultimate dark triad

Light in Death Note - psychopathy/machiavellianism

Lelouch in Code Geass - machiavellianism

Littlefinger in Game of Thrones - machiavellianism/psychopathy

Relevant stuff I've read:

The 48 Laws of Power & Mastery - Robert Greene

No More Mr. Nice Guy - Robert Glover

The Rational Male - Rollo Tomassi

Playing to Win - David Sirlin (http://www.sirlin.net/ptw)

Models - Mark Manson

Commentated version of The Art of War

Reading:

Dimensions of Body Language (http://westsidetoast...nguage/toc.html)

The Red Queen - Matt Ridley

Influence - Robert Cialdini

Haven't started reading this yet, but it looks interesting: http://www.ribbonfar...k-and-gametalk/

So let me introduce you to the main skill required here, mastery over the four major languages spoken in organizations, among Sociopaths, Losers and the Clueless. I’ll call the four languages Posturetalk, Powertalk, Babytalk and Gametalk. Here’s a picture of who speaks what to whom. Let’s use it to figure out how to make friends and influence people, Office style.

Oh, I think I should learn more about psychology itself.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/brain-and-cognitive-sciences/9-00sc-introduction-to-psychology-fall-2011/index.htm

^ Part of the OCW Scholar series, which are for the self-learner, so it's a full course.

Edited by Michio

Posted

The Prince is a necessary reading for anyone who wants to take politics seriously, beyond the moralistic language of modernity. Also check out Mansfield's Machiavelli's Virtue.

You have a nice collection of books and avatars in film to start with. I would recommend a broader selection of history and biographies, and a move away from entertainment like television or film. More facts, less self-help crap.

More books on or by great generals like Alexander the Great, Hannibal, Genghis Khan, Napoleon, Shaka Zulu, Techumseh, Rommel, Giap, or war thinkers like Sun-Tzu, Musashi, Clausewitz, du Picq, Lawrence, Boyd.

Also, good biographies on great politicians like Robert Caro's series on Lyndon Baines Johnson, and film directors like Hitchcock, business leaders like Rockefeller or Gates, radical artists like Duchamp and writers like Kjetsaa's bio of Dostoyevsky, A Writer's Life.

Don Juan, try A Seducer's Diary by Kierkegaard.

1 person likes this

Posted

thanks dude

I now have

The Complete Book of Five Rings - Miyamoto Musashi

The Prince

A Seducer's Diary

The Years of LBJ

Hannibal - Theodore Dodge

The Generalship of Alexander the Great - Fuller

A Sorrow in Our Heart - Eckert

Boyd - Coram

This should be enough for the next year or two. XD

I'm gonna be in the military soon, and while I'm just bottom-of-the-barrel enlisted trash, I want to be by far the best among my peers, I want my superiors to greatly respect me, I want mental and physical strength, and I want to develop a social circle with high status individuals. This is probably my last and best chance, so I can't fuck this up.

I've already had a surprising amount of social success by being more extroverted and making very minor tweaks to my behavior. "The Game" is fun. Really fun... And I believe I can be good at it.

I see nothing wrong with intentionally manipulating people around me, since I'm constantly being gamed by everyone else anyway, whether they do it consciously or not. Since I'm an empath, I want to learn and develop a strategy for defending myself against dark triads, while creating win-win results instead of being an exploitive leech.

But honestly, I don't know if an empath can ever be as good as a dark triad at the game.

Posted

If you're looking for a theory that suggests how this all works, you could try reading a little on Bourdieu's theory of practice. In brief, you will need to learn how to translate your capital and adjust to the habitus of the new (military) field if you want to achieve your aims (these terms are part of the theory). For fiction, you should take the time to read Marías's Your Face Tomorrow trilogy, in which the narrator has an ability you would value (or may even already have in part). At any rate, it would be interesting to analyse the military experience in terms of either or both.

1 person likes this

Posted

Book list I found from a guy interested in power play/power game.

• - The Art of War, Sun Tzu
  • - 33 Strategies of War, Robert Greene
  • - Tempo, Venkatesh Rao
  • - The Joy of Selling, Steve Chandler
  • - Propaganda, Edward Bernays
  • - Influence: the Pyschology of Persuasion, Robert B Cialdini
  • - How to win friends and influence people, Dale Carnegie
  • - Battle Leadership, Captain Adolf Von Schell
  • - The soldiers load and the mobility of a nation, USMC
  • - FMFM1, Warfighting, USMC
  • - Tao Te Ching, any translation
  • - The Prince, Machiavelli