This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Review: Guardians of the Galaxy

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I didn't expect much entering the film. Being unfamiliar with the comic series, I had no longing that the filmmakers 'get it right,' capturing the comic geist. No ghost hauntings of Watchmen, think Justin Chang: "The movie is ultimately undone by its own reverence; there's simply no room for these characters and stories to breathe of their own accord, and even the most fastidiously replicated scenes can feel glib and truncated."

If The Avengers was a 'best of show,' then Guardians of the Galaxy is its postmodern cousin of the house of freaks.

It was a delightful, even enrapturing film, among the few elite sci-fi films that truly display world craftsmanship. The film is full of self referential puns; it's very 'aware' of itself, there's even a fourth wall break- these things stated, it manages the difficult task of being immersive. There you are along with the characters, experiencing the world as if their world was our own.

As filmmakers struggle to manipulate or otherwise stimulate our emotions in this Age of cynicism and jaded desensitization, Guardians displays a kind of organicism such that experiential immanence is effortlessly achieved.

In the first ten minutes of the film, there was already an innocent, child-like candor and simultaneously a wittiness on display such that, I knew that if the film seized the creative vision already displayed, it would be bode well.

It did.

Edited by DeadCanDance
1 person likes this

Posted

Going in, I had high hopes. I knew about the excessive buzz, which set expectations high. The comic origins themselves were standard Marvel fare, but didn't hint at the film's potential in the slightest.

My sisters and I walked out with positive vibes and went over our favorite scenes later over sushi. :cheers:

1 person likes this