This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Interstellar: A Stellar Movie

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

With 'post-humanism' nipping at the periphery of the horizon of our societal time scale, and a pervasive, though largely unacknowledged ennui with entailing orgiastic animality in full force, and the once civilizationally grounding link to transcendence snapped in two like an old twig, recognizing that heroism is precluded from the very possibility of its once, if and however illusory, glory (after all, fighting to ensure, for example, that Asian-American gender-queer trannies are equally represented in the video game industry just doesn't have the grandeur as say, killing a perceived enemy of God), with a subterranean will to violence frothing beneath the nicities of modernity, Nolan's 'Interstellar' is, shall we say, "timely."

The film is thoroughly liturgical in nature, which is tricky. It does not feature the invitation to philosophic inquiry, in the mode of Blade Runner or 2001, no unresolved plot points requiring intense reflection as to the meaning of the narrative silence- it's an invitation to reflection on the value/disvalue of being human, and makes no qualms as to its intra-affirmation.

Now, the film is not without its shortcomings- at times the dialogue is choppy, rigid, and overly diaphanous, there are disconnects in the plot narrative that, unlike as in films such as Pulp Fiction or Memento which use said disconnects to the film's advantage, come across as either bad editing or poor narrative structure, and my god, the 'elderly Murph,' she verges on Sofia Coppola's infamous debacle as Mary Corleone in Godfather 3, but for all its flaws, like an asymmetrical but beautiful human face, it beguiles, it pulls one into the direction of celebration.

In analyzing the film's parts, it gets a lot of things right- it's visually incredible, the soundtrack is perfect, it really draws you and renders the world you've entered believable- a downtrodden planet, having lapsed into an agragrian civilization, truly embodying the apocalypse as a brooding, quiet fading, slipping away into oblivion.

For only the second time in my life, not having experienced this since I was a child, when the film ended there was a standing ovation. It was a great moment.

Edited by DeadCanDance
1 person likes this

Posted

I don't know anything about the supposed "fighting to ensure that Asian-American gender-queer trannies are equally represented in the video-game industry." What does that even mean? That there is a fight for their proportional representation as avatars in the games themselves, or as workers in the industry, or….?

Why do you keep bringing up transgendered people in a sneering way?

I suspect, whatever you mean by the above, that the real "fight" is to end discrimination against people of different gender/sexual orientation, which does indeed have much more grandeur than killing the perceived enemies of God, which is cruel and bloody nonsense, particularly since your idiot God does not exist.

Posted

particularly since your idiot God does not exist.

Posted (edited)

Nice derail, David. :whatever:

Back to the film.

Interstellar pulls it off - as a true science fiction film. 99% of the scifi films out there are either mediocre or forgettable, complete cynical cash grabs or uninspired adaptation with zero creativity. Average scifi tries to use conventions of the future to tell stories about the present, whereas Interstellar adds another lens: the stories of the future actually resonate today, as they map the future instead.

This is one of those old-school scifi, from the space age (pre-cyberpunk era), best found in those anthologies or collections.

Gorgeous visual effects on the level of Cosmos. When is a wormhole not a worm hole? :grin2:

If you shrunk the story to its basic humanist essences, it's about a man and his daughter. Double that.

Again, Interstellar is great science fiction because it escapes the rut scifi film has gotten itself into lately, in the lazy comforts of dystopia where humanity is utterly in control of its fate that the only problem is human idiocy. Interstellar has taken the elements of family in order to tell the bigger story of humanity and its future on the species level, centuries level.

:cheers:

Edited by The Heretic
1 person likes this

Posted

Excellent review Camp.

A general malaise and cynicism pervades the cultural landscape, and Interstellar, rather than, as you say, relapse into 'lazy dystopianism,' and become an ugly mirror and commentary on the present, the film transcends it.

One of the things I appreciate in the film is that while recognizing the biological and moral limitations of Man, it doesn't brood over them, nor does it exactly celebrate them, it contextualizes them such that prevents them from being the final arbiter of possibility.

It staunchly rejects the non-person respecting indifference (between persons) of utilitarianism in its embrace of the family and familial relationships- a story about a man and his children, a man and his wife, whose absence haunts him, taking place beyond three dimensionality, familial love and relationships are embraced through the lens of concrete, living persons, as against the abstractness of moral theorizing.

It's profoundly and classically conservative in this respect, but the film never preaches. As stated, it's liturgical without making any demands.

Having reflected further on the film, I recant regarding the plot structure- it's just fine. But what I cannot forgive, what verges on a "hate crime" (lol at davidm's use of "hate speech") is that the film didn't feature a single trans or homosexual. Damn you Nolan!!

1 person likes this

Posted

Will go see this based on you two. The previews did not capture my attention as Nolan normally does and I'm a little tired of Mcconaughey. True Detective, the HBO series, is excellent but it seems that character has been every incarnation of Matt since.

Posted (edited)

Hey Camp, Land has posted a review of 'Interstellar' over at Outside in (xenosystems.net); I cannot, for whatever reason, post a link, but I thought you might be interested.

I think I'll take your advice and make a blog post out of a review, smoothing out what is posted here and adding some recently emerged musings on the film.

Edited by DeadCanDance

Posted

Hey Camp, Land has posted a review of 'Interstellar' over at Outside in (xenosystems.net); I cannot, for whatever reason, post a link, but I thought you might be interested.

I think I'll take your advice and make a blog post out of a review, smoothing out what is posted here and adding some recently emerged musings on the film.

Looking forward.

Here's the link to Nick Land on Interstellar:

http://www.xenosystems.net/interstellar/