This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

NFL 2014 Week 13 Picks

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Another weekend in the books. But week 13 promises or be the best yet with 3 great match ups.

Game of the Week

Patriots @ Packers (-3.5)

The Patriots have been nearly unstoppable in the past couple of months, but they're now playing at the best homefield in the NFL at Lambeau Field, against a red-hot QB in Rodgers, who is invincible at home. Come to think of it, Rodgers and Brady have never played each other. Were this game hosted elsewhere, anywhere, I'd pick the Patriots.

Packers by 4

Thanksgiving Games of the Week

Bears @ Lions (-6.5)

Perhaps the Lions were the proverbial paper tigers after falling to two legit teams in a row. The Bears' high powered offense will pounce on the suddenly toothless Lions.

Bears by 6

Eagles @ Cowboys (-2.5)

QB Sanchez wasn't that bad last week, but it's only a matter of time before he shits himself. While the Cowboys aren't a juggernaut by any stretch of the imagination I suspect their high powered running game will control the clock and quick strike capability will edge the Eagles.

Cowboys by 3

Seahawks @ 40 Whiners (SF even)

Most likely a classic slobberknocker between two physical rivals, this game will help determine the NFC playoff slate. However the Swahawks haven't covered on the road this year. They have the ability to beat the 49ers but not at SF.

40 whiners by 1

Rest of the Week

Deadskins @ Colts (-8.5)

Colts often blow out weak sisters at home, and given the doomed relationship between QB RGIII and his coach, the Skins are falling fast.

Colts by 14

Titans @ Texans (-6.5)

The Texans are in disarray, with the injuries to QB Mallett & RB Foster. And QB Mettenberger gives the Titans a fighting chance.

Texans by 3

Browns @ Bills (even)

It's nearly impossible to predict the fortunes of either team, given the 2014 season. However, the Browns are a slightly more talented team thanks to WR Gordon, and the safer bet.

Browns by 1

Chargers @ Ravens (-4.5)

The Ravens are back at home and rolling, given last night's whooping of the Saints. The Chargers, OTOH, are fading fast.

Ravens by 10

Giants @ Jaguars (+1.5)

Yes the Giants are pretty bad, but coach Couglin won't allow them to quit.

Giants by 8

Bengals @ Buccaneers (+3.5)

The consistently inconsistent Bengals are nearly impossible to predict. Blowing a key division game vs the Browns, then winning two in a row in hostile ventures. Tampa Bay isn't exactly a hostile venture.

Bengals by 9

Raiders @ Rams (-6.5)

Yes, the Raiders finally got off the Schneid, but they're still the same old shitty Raiders. The Rams OTOH are just a decent QB away from being legitimate.

Rams by 10

Saints @ Steelers (-3.5)

The Saints have nothing on defense to slow down Rothlisberger off a bye. It'll be close but the Saints, back on the road, will choke again.

Steelers by 9

Panthers @ Vikings (-2.5)

Vikings are mediocre but on the upswing with QB Bridgewater. Otoh QB Newton is getting drilled by a leaky Offensive line and none of his WRs can get open. Bleh.

Vikings by 3

Cardinals @ Falcons (+1.5)

The Vegas spread seems disrespectful to the Cards. If Matt Ryan had trouble vs the Browns secondary, imagine how he will do against a vastly superior Cardinals defense.

Cardinals by 7

Broncos @ Chiefs (+1.5)

KC was caught looking past the Raiders indeed, to this AFC West showdown. The Broncos haven't been themselves in a month so expect KC to capitalize at home with a close victory.

Chiefs by 1

Dolphins @ Jets (+4.5)

Normally you take the underdog that hosts a division game, but the Dolphins are actually decent (coaching) and talented (must-win situation). Dolphins, but take the points.

Dolphins by 3

Last Week: 10-5

Season to date: 113-62

Edited by The Heretic
3 people like this

Posted

Great picks but I have two legit contrarian picks, I think. The Lions should beat the Bears - a pretty good defense that Cutler will throw to. I do not trust that man at all. Lions look like garbage on offense but the Bears defense is pretty porous. I think Denver takes KC as well. Bit of a fan boy pick but the Broncos have a nice running game going. I think that will tip the scales.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

10-5, great results last week.

My predictions are usually right on the money ... as soon as the final whistle blows! ;)

Edited by maddog
2 people like this

Posted

Great picks but I have two legit contrarian picks, I think. The Lions should beat the Bears - a pretty good defense that Cutler will throw to. I do not trust that man at all. Lions look like garbage on offense but the Bears defense is pretty porous. I think Denver takes KC as well. Bit of a fan boy pick but the Broncos have a nice running game going. I think that will tip the scales.

Many pundits believe that the Lions will return to form against the porous Bears defense. Cutler will cough it up easily, cuz he goes to pieces under pressure, and the Lions have an excellent defensive line.

They also think the Broncos found their groove last week against the Dolphins, and that Manning almost never loses to Kansas City (10-1). But since the Chiefs did play them tight earlier in the season, I think Arrowhead will flip the script.

Posted

The What-the-hell-happened-while-I-was-gone Game of the Week

I tell ya, by sheer force of will, I had brought the Saints back to apparent respectability before my trip. I come back and hardly recognize the team. Not because of the quality of play; because of the number of starters who've gone on IR or been out since I left; the quality of play is, at best, and then only if you make-believe, much like it was for the first six games of the year. The Heretic says the Steelers by 9. Shouldn't that be by at least 9?!?!?!? The Steelers offense should roll on the ground and fly through the air. Essentially at will. Ah, you ask, what about the Saints offense? All you need to know is that Joe Morgan played 18 snaps against the Ravens, and Nick Toon was on the field for 44 snaps. Nick Toon!!! If you saw the game, you've got my drift. Pittsburgh wins.

Alright, then. On to the contrarian picks.

Patriots @ Packers (-3.5)

The Patriots have been nearly unstoppable in the past couple of months, but they're now playing at the best homefield in the NFL at Lambeau Field, against a red-hot QB in Rodgers, who is invincible at home. Come to think of it, Rodgers and Brady have never played each other. Were this game hosted elsewhere, anywhere, I'd pick the Patriots.

Packers by 4

Nothing wrong with that analysis. Nevertheless, the real difference between the two teams comes down to the running game. If conditions were to impede passing games, then Green Bay would surely win. That said, New England wins.

Bears @ Lions (-6.5)

Perhaps the Lions were the proverbial paper tigers after falling to two legit teams in a row. The Bears' high powered offense will pounce on the suddenly toothless Lions.

Bears by 6

The weak point for the Detroit defense is, clearly enough, the secondary. It is the second weakest part of the team. The weakest part of the team is the offense. The weakest part of the Bears is its entire defense. The second weakest part is Cutler. Put all this together, and what do you get? Detroit wins.

Seahawks @ 40 Whiners (SF even)

Most likely a classic slobberknocker between two physical rivals, this game will help determine the NFC playoff slate. However the Swahawks haven't covered on the road this year. They have the ability to beat the 49ers but not at SF.

40 whiners by 1

Kaepernick vs. Wilson. If that is what it comes down to - and it might very well - then clearly Seattle wins.

I think Denver takes KC as well. Bit of a fan boy pick but the Broncos have a nice running game going. I think that will tip the scales.

Being utterly out of touch with the NFL for several weeks has - temporarily, I'm sure - dampened the precision of my intuitive insights, but even before I left I felt that the Broncos remain chronically not-right, and that sense remains. I have to go with The Heretic on this one: Kansas City wins.

10-5, great results last week.

My predictions are usually right on the money ... as soon as the final whistle blows! ;)

Interesting. Because my picks are always right until the games get played.

2 people like this

Posted

I've only just seen this so I'm going to post it here:

Separately, I am picking the Patriots because Jonas Gray might come back with something to prove.

Posted

Well, what do you expect from someone who went to same high school that Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Michael S. Pearl attended?

1 person likes this

Posted

Seattle got beaten into a pulp on Sunday, so I have trouble picking them four days later to battle a suddenly decent 49ers defense in a victory or death game.

The reason Thursday games suck in general is that the football players' bodies haven't recovered in time to perform decently.

Posted (edited)

Well, what do you expect from someone who went to same high school that Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, and Michael S. Pearl attended?

One of these things don't belong. :becky: Was able to the first game today. Boring. The Lions managed to look competent on both sides of the ball while the Bears still have Cutler at quarterback.The Cowboys have it pretty bad: Sunday, Thursday, Thursday. Brutal. Hope you all did some good eating, those that celebrate!

Edited by mosaic
1 person likes this