This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A decade of TGL

18 posts in this topic

Posted

Ten years!!! (Although my own tenth anniversary won't come around until next summer.) Who would have imagined?!?! We have had some excellent discussions here (hopefully, we will have still more) in large part because we are a diverse group - despite our similarities.

Thus far, I have only had the pleasure of meeting two TGLers (David and Paul), but I am very much looking forward to meeting some others. This is probably a good time to go back and pick out some favorite threads and note them here, and that's what I'll do presently.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Great. :)

There have been some great threads, though not enough, IMO. I have had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife, as well as maddog, Nullifidian, Heretic, and Scotty and his wife Bev. In the next few years I hope we bring The Galilean Magazine and Pood Paw Prints to fruition.

Happy Tenth!

Edited by davidm
3 people like this

Posted

Ten years strong! I hope to meet some of my fellow TGLers next year if possible. I'm already considering *what* game to go to in Seattle. All in all, some great discussions and great people. I can honestly say that I have developed an appreciation for thoughts diametrically opposite to mine just by partaking in and reading discussions here. In particular, I'll say that I have a better appreciation of film and fiction due to the many excellent essays and discussions here. Cheers!

:cheers:

4 people like this

Posted

I've only been here for about half the life of TGL and have never been a prolific contributor, but I'd like to record my thanks to the many people here who've helped me learn something - whether they knew it or not. Particular mention to Paul, of course, for staying with his ten-year mission, to Scotty for keeping the dilithium furnaces stoked, and other members of the crew including Michael, davidm and that mysterious heretic character. Here's to many more years of high quality (even if only low volume) discussion.

p :cheers:

4 people like this

Posted (edited)

I should have expected TheHeretic to highlight an epic troll thread. :becky: Some good stuff up there. Those Freewill/Foreknowledge threads are a tour de force due to the number of participants and many, many, diverging paths and ideas. I think even Norman Schwartz showed up for a response. The thread on Rhetoric and the self brings back many memories. And where is Tim? Quite a few good folks no longer here. Good thing this thread! I need to find the link to Paul's thread on Kierkegaard and the public in Media. That's another good one.

Edited by mosaic
2 people like this

Posted

And where is Tim? .

I think the last time we heard from Timothy he was sucking down sake in Japan.

Posted

As I continue to peruse ancient postings, I've run across these:

1) In Hurricane Katrina can be found some of my thoughts during the immediate aftermath of that disaster.

2) Then there is the sage of Hugo the Alligator with a link to this video: Good Times in the Life of Hugo the Alligator.

3) Then there is the (in)famous video revealing my belly-dancing expertise in the Vacation Videos thread.

2 people like this

Posted

(In)famous indeed. :laugh: I;m dying here, Still, an A+ for enthusiasm all these years later.

Posted (edited)

Wow! Just trying to get through the "ID debate -- Why?" thread has exhausted me! :faint: And I'm still not finished rereading it.

What great discussions! Where have these discussions gone? I guess message boards have given way to blogs and the evil Twitter. I wish we could find a way to revive these intense, closely reasoned discussions, maybe through the Galilean Magazine, with a print-on-demand version and an online version with links to our archives.

Seriously, that was an epic discussion. And where has Timothy gone? :(

Edited by davidm

Posted

I have PM'd Timothy, hopefully he will respond. :)

Posted

I would add the ID and the Designer thread; if it was added above I missed it.

Posted

Mr. P was in chat last night and I see his Artie avatar is wearing a Santa cap. :)

Anyway, I persuaded him to promise to become a regular again! :finger:

1 person likes this

Posted

Congratulations, TGL! I hope and pray that you last for another ten years, which might see me out - I am 72 years old at the moment, and still nursing a sore ankle.

I read here quite a lot, I write occasionally, and I have been recommended to read some useful books. "The Brothers Karamazov", "Science in a Free Society" by Paul Feyerabend, and "Martin Heidegger: Between Good and Evil", by Rüdiger Safranski.

Regrettably local libraries in Barbados do not have these books. I am hoping to get a Kindle e-reader of some sort - any recommendations? In the meantime I keep visiting TGL. I must change my profile here, I no longer do any teaching therefore mathematics has fallen out of favour, I continue to gaze at the sky at night but do not bother with astronomy. My main focus is to develop my spirituality with my wife through our Christian faith (but we do not attend any denominational church), and I continue to be interested in the problem of evil, especially the possibility of a scientific explanation (via quantum theory?), to which I first became acquainted from reading the book "The Problem of Evil" by Peter van Inwagen.

Many thanks to all for running and contributing to a site which seems to exemplify the Christian admonition that we should love our enemies!

2 people like this

Posted

Have you read Kierkegaard? Perhaps you've mentioned before whether you have or not; if so my apologies for not remembering. But if you have not read him, that might be another to put on your reading list. :deal: