This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Digital Philosophy

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

This is a thread devoted to "digital philosophy," which seems to be a rapidly expanding new field.

It involves number of issues, including:

The idea that reality is, in some sense, a computation, and is fundamentally based on information and not on matter and energy.

The idea that we are living in a simulation. This includes, but is not limited to, Nick Bostrom's ingenious simulation argument,

The idea that we are living in a hologram, written in Planck-scale pixels "on the cosmic horizon," and that the third dimension of space is an illusion. Much to my surprise, I learned yesterday that Fermi Labs is running an experiment to determine whether this is true, using something called a holometer. The experiment began in August; I know of no results yet.

The idea of "libertarian compatibilism": Mind-body dualism is true, and all minds conspire to collapse the wave function and create reality. They do this ex nihilo, with no causal input, and thus free will is truly libertarian. This seems to have something in common with the Strong Free Will Theorem, in which two mathematicians have claimed to prove, mathematically, that either hard determinism is true, or we have true libertarian free will. The upshot of their argument is that if hard determinism is true, we are forever prohibited from conducting an experiment to prove hard determinism; since this seems beyond the pale, we should conclude that we have libertarian free will.

All metaphysical problems in philosophy -- time, space, consciousness, free will, the true nature of quantum mechanics, etc. -- are resolved by reference to massive multiplayer online roleplaying video games. (wot?)

Reality is a peer-to-peer (P2P) networked computer simulation. (wot?)

OK, that's all I got, till I do lots more reading. :) But if anyone wants to discuss this stuff, or knows anything about it, have at it. Note to :pp: See how metaphysics can encompass ethics and meta-ethics, like the free will/determinism debate? Someday you'll thank me when you become expert at all this stuff at Oxford. :thumb:

Edited by davidm
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

:scratch:

I've said before that the FW debate is relevant to ethics (not as sure about metaethics, though).

That aside, this is an interesting topic, though I doubt if I have the background knowledge needed to usefully contribute.

Edited by PeculiarPhilosopher