This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Philosophy of History: Book Recommendations

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can anyone recommend to me books on the philosophy of history, or books that present particular philosophies of history?

Edited by PeculiarPhilosopher

Posted (edited)

Apologies - I misread the OP and posted an irrelevant post on the history of philosophy. Peculiar was asking about the philosophy of history. :banghead:

In the 19th century, the philosophers of history were Hegel, Marx, Nietzsche, Croce.

In the 20th century, the usual suspects, besides Spengler and Toynbee, were:

Being & Time by Heidegger

Rise of Scientific Philosophy by Reichenbach

The Order of Things by Foucault

The Legitimacy of the Modern Age by Blumenberg

After Virtue by MacIntyre.

Philosophy of history are written in a Geistesgeschichtlich story, patterned after Hegel.

Such geistesgeschichtlich is about self-justification, much like a rational reconstruction, but by working at the level of the problem as opposed to working out solutions to the problem. They focus on why anyone took the problem of X seriously, or why anyone took the problem of X as fundamental to their thought? Their answers are less important. Such geistesgeschichtlich focuses on the entire body of work rather than the past thinker's most famous arguments.

Edited by The Heretic

Posted

In my view, the best book on the philosophy of history in recent years is Tucker's Our Knowledge of the Past. There is a detailed interview with the author here at TGL and he also edited the Blackwell Companion to the Philosophy of History and Historiography. For a more general overview, I suggest Lemon's textbook.