This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Black Mirror

4 posts in this topic

Posted

God Bless Charlie Brooker. :cheers:

Last year I started watching this wicked satire Black Mirror and immediately fell in love.

Dystopian stories where technological advances haven't the slightest impact on immutable human nature, except reveal deeper and darker layers.

This thread is meant to discuss the larger issues contained in the anthology.

If you haven't had the pleasure, go see it ASAP and let the Johnathan Swift of the 21st century work his magic. :thumb:

Posted (edited)

Live on television. This afternoon. I think the delivery of that line perfectly captures the tone of this show - serious, funny, unsettling, weird.

Its a great show. Shades of Kieslowski's The Decalogue in White Bear. I don't want to spoil the show for anyone who may take a look but I'm impressed by the quality of the film-making itself in relation to the writing - nothing is half-assed and the form of the the show is essential. Take the first episode: excellently shot, no gratuitous shots to say " look at me, how clever." It is filmed seriously, paced well, and disturb precisely for this reason - you' may laugh but are you suppose to? You get progressively unnerved but you're still slightly amused and they don't give you the option just to laugh or sermonize about its themes. I mean, the youtube comments were classic and I couldn't help myself laughing very hard at them even as they are so disturbingly mean spirited considering the context [ I'm thinking of the bacon comment ].

The second episode of the first season I didn't appreciate as much till I rewatched - where all this anger, all this commentary we can all recognize, simply gets folded into another sequence of 'events' , another thing co-opted and made entertaining. What do you do? Those are just some run away thoughts.

Edited by mosaic
1 person likes this

Posted

The Black Mirror is timely - just because television has become the dominant cultural medium over the past decade. We watch it on our phones, tablets, rant about it to friends and on discussion boards. In other words, the Internet and TV seem to have grown up at the same time, feeding off one another while choking one another. But the content ignores us in our passive consumption as it blows millions of dollars on escapist stuff that's either nostalgic or fantastic. Here comes Black Mirror - full of confidence and verve, completely aware of the fundamental truth of science fiction: technology can change lives, but not who we are.

Black Mirror hits the highest notes when it's the least cynical - when it depicts how the world evolves much faster than we ever will. There is no utopian balm from technology - never was, never will be - just existential horror and quiet terror. We already have black mirrors on the wall, in our pockets, absorbed in them without an ounce of reflection or guilt.

1 person likes this

Posted

Yes, Heretic

I happened to watch this yesterday. I think it was the first episode, about the PM having to fuck a pig on live television. As much as it was a ludicrous proposition, I thought it was a very incisive piece. Very tight camera work, and nicely juxtaposed with public opinion.

They say revolution is impossible because it was televised. But in this case, the makers of Black Mirror have managed to turn the tables a little. I have yet to watch the others, but when I find the time next or when I remember, I will watch the rest.