This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Site update problesm

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Maybe some of this will work itself out, but for now:

All the attachments like word docs in posts appear to have vanished. At least, I cannot see any indicated attachments.

The image tags no longer works. Heretic's embedded Pantheon drawings are simply gone. All that shows is the links to the work flanked by image tags.

I cannot do any status updates. Plus the status update column appears to be flooded with  spam. 

Posted

Can't send messages, either. I'm informed that my inbox has to be cleared to be able to send more messages, but there no longer is any obvious way to do that, whereas before it was easy. There does not seem to be any obvious "delete this message" function any longer. 

Posted

Click on the envelope in the top right, then 'go to my inbox', then on the cog icon next to 'My Conversations'. You can then select 'empty'.

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks, I'll do that Hugo. There still remain a couple of other glitches I'm finding. I can't post up a new status reply of my own, and now I find I can't even reply to the status replies of others, though before I could. When I try to do either, a box very briefly pops up, then disappears, and I am returned to the home page. Also, there no longer seems to be a "preview post" button. 

Posted (edited)

The status update issues are apparently a bug that I'm trying to fix, or may be addressed by the next software update. (Apparently this is going to drag all activity under one notification system.) The preview post button is gone because the reply box is now WYSIWYG...

Edited by Hugo Holbling
To add comment on software update.

Posted

OK, yeah, status update is completely incapacitated for me. Can't do it! Can't even respond to other status updates, though I could do that at first, after the upgrade. Now I can't. 

Posted

Let me test it on my iPad right now. 

Posted

I just tried to update my status on the main page and the software attempted to load a dialogue box, but it hung and then vanished. 

So I went into my profile, hit the Status feed tab and only there was I able to update my status. :shakehead:

also the board software refuses to show new posts if you try to return to the new post page after reading a new post, unless you wait for a minute.  In other words I read too fast. :lol:  

Posted

The status update problem has been reported to the software company and is under investigation.

Posted

I can't get the "Follow Content" button to work. Is it just me, or is this a real problem?

Thanks,

Greg.

Posted

The status update issue is now resolved.

Greg: Where is the follow content option that is not working?

1 person likes this

Posted

Some older posts seem not to have survived the transfer. For example, the review on Goodman's Starmaking in the Read forum. I've noticed this on a few different threads in Read. Gone forever?

Posted

Hm, just seeing this now, in chat with Ludovicus. Scott? Any idea on this?

Posted

Now it seems like you have to be logged in to view the site. Otherwise you get Error code: EX145

Any news on the posts that have been cut off?

Posted

Well, I grabbed a database dump from 2014 (because I save the database every day and just went back as far as I had) and restored it locally and took a look and of course yes, data is horribly missing.

I don't know exactly what to do about it, I manually edited the "Starmaking" thread and pasted what was in the database from 2014, it didn't paste well, but I was just making a test to see how the data looks in the database after I did that.

I will try to figure more out, but if I have to figure out which data is missing compared to an old database it could take me months of work to figure out.  I will see if the lovely people who wrote this software have anything to try to fix this.

-Scott

2 people like this

Posted

I suspect the reason some posts are truncated while others are intact is the "smart characters" in the word programs many use to compose their posts before copying the contents and pasting them in the post. The software update doesn't like those smart characters and blanks the rest of the post after them. 

Posted

I suspect the reason some posts are truncated while others are intact is the "smart characters" in the word programs many use to compose their posts before copying the contents and pasting them in the post. The software update doesn't like those smart characters and blanks the rest of the post after them. 

Actually you are probably right, that was something I was wondering when looking at the old data in the database and where the posts truncated, but I haven't had time to actually figure out exactly what posts are affected.  It will probably take importing the old database before the upgrade and then doing queries on post sizes from one to the other.  

The good news is that I have all of the data, and it is all backed up, so nothing is really lost, but being able to recover it is a different matter.

-Scott

1 person likes this