This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2015 NFL Week 4 Picks

8 posts in this topic

Posted

After falling down to Billy Zima levels, Week 3 was a return to normalcy. Why, 15-2 is what passes for normal around here. The football gods were merciful, but I've a feeling they'll return to their capricious ways soon. Onto Week 4!

Game of the Week

Kansas City Chiefs @ Cincinnati Bengals (-3.5)

The Chiefs are coming off a smarting loss vs the Packers on national TV, and will be angry. Luckily for QB Dalton, the Bengals are still playing in the daytime, and will remain undefeated. They'll have trouble containing RB Chareles on defense, keeping the score close.

Cincinnati by 3

Thursday Game of the Week

Baltimore Ravens @ Pittsburgh Steelers (+3)

Before the season began, this promised to be a slobberknocker between two playoff contenders that hated each other. Too bad one is 0-3 and the other just lost its starting QB for 4 plus weeks, knocking down the stakes a few pegs. RB Le'Veon Bell is dangerous because he can carry the Steelers. Since QB Michael Vick is less a viable option and more of a warm body at this point in his career, go with the desperate team.

Baltimore by 6

Rest of the Week

New York Jets @ Miami Dolphins (+1.5)

Despite a solid offseason of upgrading key spots, the early optimism has shattered against the iceberg of reality as the Dolphins have looked shittier and shittier with each game.

New York by 3

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Indianapolis Colts (-8.5)

Another team has been slouching towards Gomorrah, and should've been 0-3 if the Titans nailed that two point conversion last week. QB Luck has been a shadow of his former self, and the team has looked completely outcoached, outplayed for four straight games. Luckily for the Colts, they are still in the shitttiest division in the NFL, and the incompetent Jaguars will confirm that.

Indianapolis by 3

New York Giants @ Buffalo Bills (-6.5)

Although the Giants woke up and smelled the coffee in time last week, they're facing a solid team with a ferocious pass rush in the Bills. They are facing a soft spot in their schedule with weak sisters in the next few weeks, so in order to finally clinch a playoff spot, they'll have to get every cupcake before they face legitimate contenders.

Buffalo by 6

Carolina Panthers @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+2.5)

Despite injuries ravaging the Panthers, having lost WR Benjamin and LB Kuechly, they're undefeated, and just traded for a good pass rushing end in Jared Allen. He will shred the vastly inferior Buccaneers OL and rough up rookie QB Winston.

Carolina by 5

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Racial Taunt (+2.5)

Yes, the NFC East is now officially the NFC Least. No team looks legitimate: the Cowboys are a shell of their healthy selves, and the Giants can't help but blow their wad prematurely. And neither the Eagles nor the Foreskins have a right to brag about anything except incompetence. QB Bradford hasn't been a good fit for Coach Kelly's system so far. As for the Deadskins, at least they have a solid OL and a couple of decent RBs that can chew up the ground and control the clock.

Washington by 2

Oakland Raiders @ Chicago Bears (+2.5)

Yes, Virginia, the Raiders are road favorites for the first time in memory. They're finally blessed with talent in QB Carr and others.

And the Bears? Without a legitimate QB and already trading away good players, they are ready to give up on 2015.

Oakland by 3

Houston Texans @ Atlanta Falcons (-6.5)

For three weeks in a row, the Falcons have been behind in the fourth quarter, but they've come back to steal each game, all against NFC Least teams. They've figured out how to sustain drives either by quick strikes or control the clock with running. That allows the defense to rest on the sidelines and regain their vigor. And they're now facing an underwhelming team in the Texans cursed with a crappy QB.

Atlanta by 6

Cleveland Browns @ San Diego Chargers (-7.5)

Something's rotten in Denmark, and it sure ain't TMZ exploiting the Browns' dysfunctional locker room. They're missing tackles, and the OL has missed blocking assignments. The entire team is underachieving as usual. As for the Chargers? They're consummate professionals, if not champions, and they'll demonstrate how deep the chasm is between them and the laughably bad Browns.

San Diego by 7

Green Bay Packers @ San Francisco 40 Whiners (+9.5)

QB Kaepernick used to own the Packers in a different era. Now he just cannot beat anyone in man coverage. Obviously the former coach Harbaugh is laughing somewhere in Michigan. And the Packers are rolling on all cylinders with a league MVP frontrunner in Rodgers. 'Nuff said.

Green Bay by 11

St. Louis Rams @ Arizona Cardinals

The Cardinals have rounded themselves into a classic juggernaut, and they'll roll over the Rams like nothing.

Arizona by 13

Minnesota Vikings @ Denver Broncos (-6.5)

After shitting the bed in Week 1, the Vikings have turned it around with great defense and solid QB play, and best of all: RB Peterson has shaken off the rust. The Broncos' defense will be a great test for QB Bridgewater. Since the Broncos are no longer the explosive team of yore, they'll have to control the Vikings by limiting Peterson and slowing down their pass attack.

Minnesota Denver by 3

Dallas Cowboys @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)

Without QB Romo, WR Bryant, and QB Brees, this is no longer a marquee game. Now, if QB Brees suit up, they'll survive the Cowboys. Otherwise...

Dallas by 3

Shame of the Week

Detroit Lions @ Seattle Seahawks (-9.5)

The Lions doomed themselves with an 0-2 start, because their next opponents were top class teams in the Broncos, Seahawks, and Cardinals. Now they're at the most unforgiving stadium in the league? With internal dissent that other teams know what they're running before they know?

Seattle by 10

Last week: 15-2

Season to Date: 31-18

1 person likes this

Posted

Dallas Cowboys @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)

Without QB Romo, WR Bryant, and QB Brees, this is no longer a marquee game. Now, if QB Brees suit up, they'll survive the Cowboys. Otherwise...

Dallas by 3

It's hard for me to believe that Brees can be well enough healed to be able to throw the ball downfield. If he can't make the deep throws, he needs to keep resting. Colston has lost his hand-eye coordination; he has dropped a high number of passes; this is his last year. Problem is, the Saints don't really have anyone to take his place. Coleman is in his first year; so, he's at least a year away as a possible every down replacement. Snead is doing well in the old Lance Moore role. It's time to make more use of Spiller; he should be fully recovered now. Eh, doesn't matter. Dallas wins.

Contrariwise - the pickings are slim, but here is a bonus contrarian note:

15-2 is what passes for normal around here.

Nah. There were 16 games. 14-2 or 15-1. Take your pick. Outstanding job regardless!!!

Philadelphia Eagles @ Washington Racial Taunt (+2.5)

Yes, the NFC East is now officially the NFC Least. No team looks legitimate: the Cowboys are a shell of their healthy selves, and the Giants can't help but blow their wad prematurely. And neither the Eagles nor the Foreskins have a right to brag about anything except incompetence. QB Bradford hasn't been a good fit for Coach Kelly's system so far. As for the Deadskins, at least they have a solid OL and a couple of decent RBs that can chew up the ground and control the clock.

Washington by 2

Having gotten to see a little of Cousins at QB last week, I was so very unimpressed that I'll go with the Eagles for no other good reason. Philadelphia wins.

Minnesota Vikings @ Denver Broncos (-6.5)

After shitting the bed in Week 1, the Vikings have turned it around with great defense and solid QB play, and best of all: RB Peterson has shaken off the rust. The Broncos' defense will be a great test for QB Bridgewater. Since the Broncos are no longer the explosive team of yore, they'll have to control the Vikings by limiting Peterson and slowing down their pass attack.

Minnesota by 3

I'm going to say that the Denver defense is good enough to keep Peterson in check, and that might well be enough for a Denver win.

And that's all I've got.

1 person likes this

Posted

Egads. I must have been asleep at the wheel when typing out the Minnesota pick over Denver. It's supposed to say Denver, since I was leaning towards them in the explanation. If the game was hosted in Minnesota, then the Vikings will beat the Broncos. 

Too bad I cannot edit my picks at this late juncture. :shakehead: 

I know I blew two games in Week 3, which means I actually finished with 14-2. :godot: 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Egads. I must have been asleep at the wheel when typing out the Minnesota pick over Denver. It's supposed to say Denver ... Too bad I cannot edit my picks at this late juncture. :shakehead: 

Lemme see if I can fix it for you. Regardless, you are on record for a Denver victory -- unless they lose!!!

Okay, fixed it. You can blame me if we're both wrong.

Edited by Michael S. Pearl
1 person likes this

Posted

Of the remaining games, I'm going to say: Bengals, Jets, Colts, Bills, Panthers, Eagles, Raiders, Falcons, Chargers, Packers, Cardinals, Broncos, Cowboys and Seahawks. :yup:

Posted

Of the remaining games, I'm going to say: Bengals, Jets, Colts, Bills, Panthers, Eagles, Raiders, Falcons, Chargers, Packers, Cardinals, Broncos, Cowboys and Seahawks. :yup:

You forgot to say: "I'd go to the London game, but I have to walk the dog."

1 person likes this

Posted

Riddle me this : Why does the NFL keep sending crappy teams to London? Is it a confession that Londoners prefer low scoring games? :scratch: 

Posted

Having gotten to see a little of Cousins at QB last week, I was so very unimpressed that I'll go with the Eagles for no other good reason. Philadelphia wins.

Hmph.Well, we have good reason to think that Cousins reads TGL, because he looked like a real QB on that last drive with the way he made sure to get good use of Garcon, and the only reason he would look so good is that he had to - just had to - show me.

2 people like this