This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2015 NFL Week 5 Picks

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

11-3 means another solid week is in the books, but remember, the Football Gods are always cruel.

:troll: 

Game of the Week

Seattle Seahawks @ Cincinnati Bengals (-1.5)

This is the perfect game for the Bengals to showcase their complete balance on offense, and excellent pass rush that should exploit the Seahawks' inferior OL. QB Wilson will keep plays alive with his Tarkenton scrambling, but in the end, it'll be too much for one guy. :hugo: 

Cincinnati by 4

Thursday Game of the Week

Indianapolis Colts @ Houston Texans (no line)

It is quite tempting to take the Texans here, because QB Luck has a bum shoulder, and they beat the Colts 3 of their last 5 games. It's too bad that the Texans' current QB Mallett is so bad (51.8% completion rate) that he beats his own team. 

Indianapolis by 4

Rest of the Week

Chicago Bears @ Kansas City Chiefs (-9.5)

Yes, the Bears were clutch last week in their upset victory over the Raiders. But they're still a craptastic team, and Bad Cutler is overdue for an appearance. As for the Chiefs? They should just forcefeed RB Charles the ball and spare QB Smith another 3 hours of piss-poor pass protection. :shakehead:  

Kansas City by 6

Washington Ethnic Slurs @ Atlanta Falcons (-8.5)

Instead of snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, Atlanta rolled to 42-0 over the Texans last week. Right now, at the quarter mark of the season, the Falcons are looking fantastic in all phases: the best WR in Jones, most TDs in RB Freeman, top red-zone offense (80%) and an opportunistic defense. Best of all? Their schedule is one of the weakest in the league. The Slurs may keep the score close by forcefeeding Morris and company the ball, but eventually reality sinks in. 

:behead:  

Falcons by 9

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles (-4.5)

In the contest of horrible disappointment, it looks like the Eagles are worse off than the decaying Saints. After all, they're DEAD LAST in the NFC Least! Then again, it took the Saints OT and a blown coverage to beat the Romo-less, Bryant-less, etc.-less Cowboys. :deal:  

Philadelphia by 3

St. Louis Rams @ Green Bay Packers (-9.5)

There's nothing as mysterious and frustrating for the prognosticator as the consistently inconsistent team that gets up for tough opponents but roll over for weak sisters. And the Rams are a classic example. However, they are facing the best team in the NFC in the Packers, who have fixed their shortcomings on defense and special teams. While the Rams do have a fierce pass rush, they don't have the horses to keep up with the Packers' indomitable offensive machine. And certainly not at Green Bay. :finger:  

Green Bay by 7

Buffalo Bills @ Tennessee Titans (+2.5)

The Bills shit the bed last week vs the Giants, and they haven't gotten over it. Luckily they're facing a hopeless team in the Titans, who won't be able to take advantage of the Bills' distractions. :freakout1:  

Buffalo by 4

Arizona Cardinals @ Detroit Lions (+2.5)

After seeming invincible in the first three weeks, the Rams exposed the Cardinals last week. They were able to run on the Cards' defense with an average OL, and pass block well enough. That is because the Cards looked good against who? Luckily for them, they're facing a team with leaky OL and a declawed defense. 

Arizona by 6

New England Patriots @ Dallas Cowboys (+7.5)

After losing their QB and star WR, the Cowboys lost RB Dunbar to ACL tear and top LB Lee to concussions. Now they're facing the top team in the AFC, the Patriots, rested off a bye week? At least the Cowboys remain tied for first place, and will get Dez Bryant after the bye week.

New England by 10

Denver Broncos @ Oakland Raiders (+6.5)

The Broncos have flipped the script from their record breaking 2013 season by winning on defense: Unholy Terrors Von Miller and Ware lead the league in QB pressure, 11 players sacked the QB, the defense allows a league low 4.3 yards per play, and third down conversion allowed is a league low 25%. While the Raiders are better than they've been, they don't have a chance against that forsaken defense. :nono:  

Broncos by 5

San Francisco 40 Whiners @ New York Giants (-7.5)

Nothing has gone right for the 40 Whiners after a nice opening victory over the Vikings. QB Kapernick has seriously regressed, and the once-proud franchise has lost its identity and direction. That is what happens when new owners think they can arrogantly step in and change the sport. Expect a few highlight-reel worthy performances by ODB. 

Giants by 6

Pittsburgh Steelers @ San Diego Chargers (-3.5)

Both teams are a mediocre 2-2. While the Steelers are still waiting for QB Rothlisberger to recover from a knee sprain, the Chargers are getting their veteran TE Gates back. QB Rivers' life will be made easier by a few magnitudes.

San Diego by 6

Lame of the Week

Cleveland Browns @ Baltimore Ravens (-6.5)

Don't look, but that win last thursday means the Ravens could be back in business in a few weeks. Starting with the hapless Browns – as long if they run the ball. RB Forsett has to be fed, because the Ravens have no alternatives in the passing game (injuries). Better yet – the Browns have been dead last against the run for two years. 

Baltimore by 6

Shame of the Week

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5)

None of the professional teams in Florida are worthy wasting your time about. :boring:  

Tampa Bay by 3

Last week: 12-3

Season to Date: 42-21

Edited by The Heretic
added season totals
2 people like this

Posted

11-3 means another solid week is in the books, but remember, the Football Gods are always cruel.

Uh, 11-4, because you forgot that the Saints won!!!!

New Orleans Saints @ Philadelphia Eagles (-4.5)

In the contest of horrible disappointment, it looks like the Eagles are worse off than the decaying Saints. After all, they're DEAD LAST in the NFC Least! Then again, it took the Saints OT and a blown coverage to beat the Romo-less, Bryant-less, etc.-less Cowboys. :deal:  

Philadelphia by 3

I'll say this about the Saints: Finally, finally, Kikaha kept his feet and stopped attempting to tackle at the ankles. Also, I'm glad the d-line finally pulled off some real life bull-rushes; Romo would have helped out his line more, but is Bradford any more mobile than Weeden? Furthermore, the Saints coaches might be bright enough to realize that with Lewis and Byrd back they can use Browner primarily as an inside dime DB. However, that is a big might. Spiller will get more touches, and that will be at the expense of K-Rob, but Ingram did okay against the Cowboys. I was wondering after the Dallas game why the Saints don't activate Joe Morgan at WR and use him as a deep threat as a way of possibly opening up space for Cooks underneath; I don't have to wonder if they'll take that course this week, because they cut Morgan. Meaning that Brees will still have to stick with Snead as his main target. I like Willie Snead, but he is not the type of receiver who will free up other receivers. Still, Brees finally returned to expected form with that last regulation drive; that only highlights a chronic problem for the Saints: their FG kicker, and that weakness is what inclines me to think that Philadelphia wins.

On to the contrarian picks.

Sheesh.

Oh, here's one:

Shame of the Week

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (-2.5)

None of the professional teams in Florida are worthy wasting your time about. :boring:  

Tampa Bay by 3

Winston is not yet better than Bortles. Yeah, that's it. So, Jacksonville wins.

I can't let that be the only contrarian pick.

I'll say this about the Saints: Finally, finally, Kikaha kept his feet and stopped attempting to tackle at the ankles. Also, I'm glad the d-line finally pulled off some real life bull-rushes; Romo would have helped out his line more, but is Bradford any more mobile than Weeden? Furthermore, the Saints coaches might be bright enough to realize that with Lewis and Byrd back they can use Browner primarily as an inside dime DB. However, that is a big might. Spiller will get more touches, and that will be at the expense of K-Rob, but Ingram did okay against the Cowboys. I was wondering after the Dallas game why the Saints don't activate Joe Morgan at WR and use him as a deep threat as a way of possibly opening up space for Cooks underneath; I don't have to wonder if they'll take that course this week, because they cut Morgan. Meaning that Brees will still have to stick with Snead as his main target. I like Willie Snead, but he is not the type of receiver who will free up other receivers. Still, Brees finally returned to expected form with that last regulation drive; that only highlights a chronic problem for the Saints: their FG kicker, and that weakness is what inclines me to think that Philadelphia wins.

Maybe the Eagles will find some life at some point during the season. But that some time ain't this time. And, if the Saints win this one, they'll be primed to upset Atlanta on Thursday in the Superdome to get to .500! WooHoo! So, New Orleans wins against the Eagles.

By the way, thus far, Atlanta reminds me of the 2009 Saints. Can't allow that to happen.

2 people like this

Posted

MSP, it is true that the Saints won. But it's also true that I posted a conditional pick: :deal: 

Dallas Cowboys @ New Orleans Saints (-3.5)

Without QB Romo, WR Bryant, and QB Brees, this is no longer a marquee game. Now, if QB Brees suit up, they'll survive the Cowboys. Otherwise...

Dallas by 3

Usually I don't post conditional picks, but since I couldn't wait until Friday to post my pick, and Brees' status was not certain as of last Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning. :shakehead: 

As a result I beat Don Banks (10-5) and Florio (10-5) for week 4. :cheers:  

1 person likes this

Posted

I'm also struggling to bet against your picks, but I'll take Jacksonville with Michael and also say that the Saints will beat the Eagles, or rather the Eagles will beat themselves. :yup:

2 people like this

Posted

MSP, it is true that the Saints won. But it's also true that I posted a conditional pick: :deal:

Usually I don't post conditional picks, but since I couldn't wait until Friday to post my pick, and Brees' status was not certain as of last Tuesday night, early Wednesday morning. :shakehead: 

Okay, then you were 12-3 instead of 11-3 or 11-4.

Posted

Last week the Saints were without one o-line starter. This week there is the possibility that they will be without three o-line starters: LT, LG, and RG. Not good.

Posted

11-2 :mrgreen:

And yes, the Atlanta Falcons do resemble the 2009 Saints. That certainly was an ugly win over the Skins, but that means a big year is on the way. It's human nature to suffer a letdown after a great start, and it happened tonight. But the Falcons figured out how to stay in the game, never let the Racial Taunts gain momentum, until something broke their way.

This experience will help the Falcons down the road when they're in a tough game. Now the next 3 weeks promise cupcake opponents (New Orleans, Tennessee, and Tampa Bay) meaning they'll be a cool 8-0 :cheers:

1 person likes this

Posted

Why, o why, did I pick the Saints? :banghead: 

Posted

Why, o why, did I pick the Saints? :banghead: 

Because you (and I) needed to come up with contrarian picks. You might as well ask why did you (and I) pick the Jags?!?! Maybe there will be better contrarian pickings for the slate of games this week. Like the Saints over Atlanta? HehHeh. I mean, if you think about it, it's really The Heretic's fault. After all, he's the one who restricts the contrarian picks, and there can never be no contrarian picks.

2 people like this