This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2015 NFL Week 6 Picks

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Holy. Frijolies. :eek3:

This week's slate of games isn't very promising, at least from an entertainment standpoint. Far too many crappy teams are playing one another, which will result in a craptacular crapfest. :whatever: 

Game of the Week

Carolina Panthers @ Seattle Seahawks (-6.5)

Since they've beaten nobody worth their salt, the Panthers have to prove themselves this Sunday. But the Seahawks have their backs against the wall. If they drop this, they'll fall 3 games behind the Cardinals for the NFC West division. The fact is, the Seahawks are no longer the same team they used to be. But luckily they're back home, and Carolina isn't an offensive powerhouse.

Seattle by 4

Thursday Game of the Week

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (+4)

Indeed, the Falcons are 5-0, but last week proved that their defense is still peopled by the same guys from last year. After all, it is ranked 21st in total defense, despite facing weak sisters. While the Falcons will continue to exploit their schedule, this weakness will come back in the end. But not against a truly horrible Saints team – crippled by poor draft choices, hobbled by bad contracts, and a Hall of Fame QB at the end of his career.

Atlanta by 7

Rest of the Week

Arizona Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Squealers (+5.5)

The Cardinals' huge edge in every category will guarantee a win, and mete some karmic retribution for that photofinish Super Bowl match 6 years ago. :deal:

Arizona by 9

Cincinnati Bengals @ Buffalo Bills (+2.5)

The Bengals are flying sky-high after that amazing comeback victory over the Seahawks last week. Unfortunately for the Bills, their QB Taylor is hobbled by a bad knee, and might not be able to go. Here comes QB Manuel and his potential for major suckage! :lol: 

Cincinnati by 7

Denver Broncos @ Cleveland Browns (+5)

Indeed, while the Broncos are 5-0, their offense has been dogshit, spearheaded by a mortal Peyton Manning. But the secret to their offensive problems is the running game. If the OL finds rhythm in run blocking, the running backs will gain consistent yardage, and that will slow down the ferocious pass rush that 79 year old Manning sees every week. And here comes the Browns and their league-worst run defense, allowing 150 yards a game.

Denver by 6

San Diego Chargers @ Green Bay Packers (-10)

Yes, although QB Rodgers wasn't invincible last week vs the Rams, throwing two picks at Lambeau Field, it's entirely possible that he is having a better year than his MVP season of 2014. Missing top WR in Nelson, and top deep target in Adams, stuck with less than 100% Cobb, rookie and a walk-on, Rodgers has been relentless. If the Chargers couldn't beat a washed-up Michael Vick at home... what can they do to Rodgers on the road?

Green Bay by 11

New England Patriots @ Indianapolis Colts (+9)

While the Pats steamrolled the Colts 45-7 in the AFC title game, this game might be even more lopsided. After all, Coach Belichick has been preparing for this game for over eight months. The Patriots are rested, coming off a bye week, while the Colts' QB Luck might need another week to get his shoulder right.

New England by 13

Monday Night Game of the Week

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (-3.5)

Although the NFC Least has seriously regressed this year, this game remains important. Either team can seize control of the division by winning this game. Yes, the Eagles looked great last week, but that was against the worst defensive team in the league in the Saints. And the Giants are primed for a run in the next four weeks against cupcake opponents.

New York by 6

Lame of the Week

Washington Ethnic Insult @ New York Jets (-5.5)

QB Cousins has been nothing but an interception machine for 4 years, and proved that last week with a pick-six in overtime. Now he will be facing the best secondary in the league? Start your countdown to Colt McCoy, ladies and gentlemen.

New York by 6

Kansas City Chiefs @ Minnesota Vikings (-3.5)

The Chiefs have crumbled after a nice start by choking away double digit leads: shitty pass defense, horrible offensive line, and now their top offensive talent RB Charles is out of the season with a torn ACL. Plus the Vikings are relatively healthy, and coming off a bye.

Minnesota by 7

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (-3)

Two hapless teams, but the Lions desperately need to get off the schneid. Here's a feeling that QB Stafford bounces back from his ignominious benching last week.

Detroit by 1

Miami Dolphins @ Tennessee Titans (-2.5)

The Dolphins cleaned house, got rid of the head coach Philbin and defensive coordinator Coyle. This usually eventuates in an emotional bump for the team, because players want to prove themselves to a new coach. And who better pasty to demonstrate that than the hapless Titans?

Miami by 3

Baltimore Ravens @ San Francisco 40 Whiners (+2.5)

From the Super Bowl XLVII to the bottom of their respective divisions in three short years. QB Kaepernick has lost his game, confidence, and etcetera, while the Ravens have lost most of their leaders and talent on defense, giving up 27 plus points a game. Both teams are equally horrible, so I'm tempted to settle for a PICK.

Baltimore by 1

Shame of the Week

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5)

Both team suck and deserve to be contracted immediately.

Houston by 1

Last Week: 11-3

Season to Date: 53-24

2 people like this

Posted

Thursday Game of the Week

Atlanta Falcons @ New Orleans Saints (+4)

Indeed, the Falcons are 5-0, but last week proved that their defense is still peopled by the same guys from last year. After all, it is ranked 21st in total defense, despite facing weak sisters. While the Falcons will continue to exploit their schedule, this weakness will come back in the end. But not against a truly horrible Saints team – crippled by poor draft choices, hobbled by bad contracts, and a Hall of Fame QB at the end of his career.

Atlanta by 7

But ... but ... It's the Saints in prime time!!! Besides, Breaux and Swann really are good DBs, although they are both first year players. And don't talk to me about Breaux's penalties. Everyone knows that penalties on DBs can be called at any moment in each and every game -- if they're actually covering the opponents. It's probably easier to call a hold or an illegal downfield contact on a DB than it is to call holding on an o-lineman, and we've known for years that offensive holding could be called whenever a ref felt like it. Now, Browner's penalties -- that's a different matter. And why do the Saints keep playing Browner? Well, it turns out that in the last game Swann was concussed, and it looks like he'll miss the Atlanta game. That in conjunction with the fact that the Saints get nothing - I mean absolutely nothing - from their free safeties means that Atlanta wins.

Let's see what contrarian picks are available.

Monday Night Game of the Week

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (-3.5)

Although the NFC Least has seriously regressed this year, this game remains important. Either team can seize control of the division by winning this game. Yes, the Eagles looked great last week, but that was against the worst defensive team in the league in the Saints. And the Giants are primed for a run in the next four weeks against cupcake opponents.

New York by 6

If the Giants come into this game as banged up as they were at the end of the SF game, then this is an easy contrarian pick. Except for the fact that they're playing the Eagles. I will assume that the Giants are depleted at WR and say Philadelphia wins.

Chicago Bears @ Detroit Lions (-3)

Two hapless teams, but the Lions desperately need to get off the schneid. Here's a feeling that QB Stafford bounces back from his ignominious benching last week.

Detroit by 1

Since I hate to have only one contrarian pick, I'll consider this one. OC Lombardi (who was a coach with the Saints before taking his current job) has put forth an offense that is looking a lot like Sean Payton's. Hmmm. Yet, Lombardi has better WRs than Payton has this year - even if Johnson is rapidly trending downwards like Marques Colston. Chicago wins simply because I am so very unimpressed with the Detroit offense.

Shame of the Week

Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+1.5)

Both team suck and deserve to be contracted immediately.

Houston by 1

Just for the hell of it, I am going to say Jacksonville wins. Although I don't think Bortles will ever be a top-notch QB, the Texans' QBs are stunningly bad. Sure, someone might be erroneously inclined to think that Hoyer will get the job done based on his performance in relief against the Colts. But did you see that pitiful last gasp throw?!?!?!?

Baltimore Ravens @ San Francisco 40 Whiners (+2.5)

From the Super Bowl XLVII to the bottom of their respective divisions in three short years. QB Kaepernick has lost his game, confidence, and etcetera, while the Ravens have lost most of their leaders and talent on defense, giving up 27 plus points a game. Both teams are equally horrible, so I'm tempted to settle for a PICK.

Baltimore by 1

Another edition of the fightin' Harbaugh brothers. Oh, wait. Jim has gone off to Michigan! And Kaepernick has gotten even worse than he was last year! Sheesh. Instead of "a PICK", why not go for a I-really-don't-care-about-this-game-even-more-than-I-don't-care-about-the-Texans-Jaguars-game?

Lemme try something different here: Most likely upsets. But not contrarian picks. Why not? I don't know. Maybe I'll change my mind before Sunday.

Arizona Cardinals @ Pittsburgh Squealers (+5.5)

The Cardinals' huge edge in every category will guarantee a win, and mete some karmic retribution for that photofinish Super Bowl match 6 years ago. :deal:

Arizona by 9

The Cardinals have vastly superior talent. The game is in Pittsburgh. Do they let Big Ben play, or is he just playing 7-on-7 to stave off boredom?

Washington Ethnic Insult @ New York Jets (-5.5)

QB Cousins has been nothing but an interception machine for 4 years, and proved that last week with a pick-six in overtime. Now he will be facing the best secondary in the league? Start your countdown to Colt McCoy, ladies and gentlemen.

New York by 6

Is Fitzpatrick still the Jets QB? Would it matter if Geno Smith were? Basically, it's the Jets QB that gives the opponent reason to hope week in and week out.

2 people like this

Posted

I'm going to pick the Panthers and the Jaguars. :yup:

1 person likes this

Posted

But ... but ... It's the Saints in prime time!!! Besides, Breaux and Swann really are good DBs, although they are both first year players. And don't talk to me about Breaux's penalties. Everyone knows that penalties on DBs can be called at any moment in each and every game -- if they're actually covering the opponents. It's probably easier to call a hold or an illegal downfield contact on a DB than it is to call holding on an o-lineman, and we've known for years that offensive holding could be called whenever a ref felt like it. Now, Browner's penalties -- that's a different matter. And why do the Saints keep playing Browner? Well, it turns out that in the last game Swann was concussed, and it looks like he'll miss the Atlanta game. That in conjunction with the fact that the Saints get nothing - I mean absolutely nothing - from their free safeties means that Atlanta wins.

But wait. It gets better for the Saints. LT Armstead is out again (meaning rookie Peat has to play again), and LG Lelito is also out. Okay, Lelito is no great shakes, and Evans is probable to return at RG after a knee scoping. Still, the Saints o-line is in horrible shape, because RT Strief continues to play like he's been around one year too long (just like Evans, although it might be two years too long in the case of Evans) - meaning that C Unger is the only up to snuff lineman the Saints have going for them at present. Poor Drew Brees. No line, and Willie Snead as his best WR. Maybe they can beat the Lions with this line-up. Maybe. And maybe Jacksonville on Dec 27. Maybe. That's a maybe two game winning streak!!! Oh, but I'm getting ahead of myself.

Posted

Hilarious vlog by this hardcore Atlanta Falcons fan I know IRL:

1 person likes this

Posted

Hilarious vlog by this hardcore Atlanta Falcons fan I know IRL:

I didn't understand a single sign, and I still enjoyed it. Got me to wondering if that guy is from Atlanta. After all, who else could be a Falcons fan except someone born into it. And then that got me to wondering whether he signs with a Georgia mountain accent. That would be neat.

Anyhow, what's up with his wearing a black Falcons jersey to the Dallas game? I mean, it made me feel sorry for him, thinking this poor guy doesn't have the wherewithal to properly attire himself, and then I realized that since he's a Falcons fan he wouldn't know what wherewithal meant and so he'd think the word was wearwithall and he'd say hell-yeh that's why I was wearing the old black jersey because you can wear a black shirt with any color pants and that means wear it with all. So, he'd think: yeah, I got the wearwithall jersey outta the closet that morning. Eh, Falcons fans. I think I most like the shot of Rob Ryan after he'd eaten Julio Jones.

Posted

But ... but ... It's the Saints in prime time!!! Besides, Breaux and Swann really are good DBs ...

Yup. Saints in prime time. Should've respected them more with that prime time edge. Some observations: 1) Breaux is getting better and better and so long as he can avoid injury, this guy is top notch. When they put Breaux on White, White was shut down, and that's all there was to that. 2) The Saints having to go to the third-string left OT, a guy named Hills who they signed just within the past week is not a good situation. Hills apparently has been around the NFL for quite a few years, and it could well be that he just hadn't had time to get up to speed with the Saints system so that he was unnaturally for him tentative, but he was horrible. Still, as bad as he was, I don't blame him for the Brees sack. No. I blame Drew Brees. Brees had to know that he had minimal protection from his left OT and still he went with not one but two pump fakes only to then get slammed from his back side. Sheesh. One pump fake and then throw it away when you're on a third team tackle who is just barely able to slow down the opponent's DE/OLB. 3) Ingram at the goal line was great. Ingram away from the goal line? Not so much. 4) I hadn't realized until last night that Roddy White is not the Roddy White I remember; maybe he's stayed a year too long just like Colston. 5) On the radio yesterday afternoon, one announcer remarked that teams that play without their starting center lose 80% of the time. Don't know if that's actually the case, but it is the case that the Falcons were without their starting center last night.

1 person likes this

Posted

I was not able to watch the game last night, but I do know that the Falcons had three turnovers in the red zone. One was a fumble, but it was recovered on a 4th down attempt, and won't be officially recorded as a turnover.

As mentioned, the Falcons' defense is composed of the same guys from last year. Credit goes to Coach Dan Quinn for getting guys who were horrible last year to play decent this year. FWIW, Roddy White has been on a steady decline for years. He no longer can get separation. Also, has Julio Jones done anything in three weeks? :scratch:

I'm relieved that the top experts like Don banks, Mike Florio, and MDS from PFT all picked the Falcons. :cheers:

Posted

I didn't understand a single sign, and I still enjoyed it. Got me to wondering if that guy is from Atlanta. After all, who else could be a Falcons fan except someone born into it. And then that got me to wondering whether he signs with a Georgia mountain accent. That would be neat.

Sign language has quite a number of regional dialect, and it comes up the strongest between the east and west coasts. Since ASL is not formally taught at schools to deaf children, the dialects manifest themselves in different signs for the same words. But the vlogger Branton is a CDI, certified deaf interpreter, who interprets for the deaf client what the hearing interpreter claims the hearing person is saying. That means he has scrubbed all regional dialect from his signs, at least when he is working professionally.

1 person likes this

Posted

Sign language has quite a number of regional dialect, and it comes up the strongest between the east and west coasts. Since ASL is not formally taught at schools to deaf children, the dialects manifest themselves in different signs for the same words.

Thanks for that. I'm glad that there are dialects in addition to the sort of language informality that broadens the space for expressive imagination.

Posted

FWIW, Roddy White has been on a steady decline for years. He no longer can get separation. Also, has Julio Jones done anything in three weeks? :scratch:

Yeah, as he's gotten older White has more frequently been hampered by injuries, and it looks like he's reached the point where his recuperations no longer get him back to prime form. As for Jones, the Falcons fans will no doubt caw (well, maybe it's Ravens fans who caw while Falcons fans screech) about how he's been dealing with hamstring and toe problems. I think Breaux would have been just as effective against a wholly uninjured Julio. Don't know why the Saints didn't have Breaux on White from the very beginning. Doesn't matter as it turned out.