This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

By next week, some of us will have succumbed to the hype and attend an overcrowded theater in meatspace. It's expected to break all sorts of records at the box office. Some pundits are going as high as $220 million domestic for opening weekend. :eek3:  

I fearlessly predict a 191 million debut, on account of lower-than-expected number of screens (3,900). Too many external factors constraining the maximum potential results. 

As for the film itself, I hope for something closer to the first three films than the latter three, where Lucas' ambitions exceeded his grasp repeatedly. Of all the films within the next 12 months, this one appeals to the kid in me the most, because I was a Star Wars fan before I got into comic books or video games or mythology. Moreover, I've actively ignored all spoilery material up til now. Here's the trailer, if you haven't had the pleasure. 

What do you expect from this event film? 

Edited by The Heretic

Posted (edited)

As an original fan, the music being the strongest part in my mind that drew the story together, I expect little.

Of course maybe this explains it best.

http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/1acc26fefd/star-wars-fan-support-group-counseling?_cc=__d___&_ccid=tiqejw.nz9l8j

(besides Hardware Wars: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGDdFuDwTZ8 which I saw on 8mm film in class)

In fact I almost got the license plate QQQQ2, in reference to Hardware Wars.  Plus, there has never been a version that had the lines in it I remembered after they see the SteamTrooper, Fluke asks Augie "How did you do that?" and Augie goes "I have power over weak minds" and Fluke says "I have power over weak minds."  No idea why that was removed!

Okay, enough of that.

I expect it will be a record breaker, I have few doubts.  I am sure the reviews will be great and it will be the best Star Wars ever.

Except I doubt it on a few levels. It is possible JJ (a hack I believe) will do okay, but his lack of ability to convey a story without grandiose effects that are only there to wow you and serve no purpose, leaves me doubting the final product.  With the tendency for the movies to have to reference the old movies by using lines or characters from the original "I have a bad feeling about this", gets really, really, really, extremely old and annoying.  I expect a ton of that, and forced familiarity instead of subtle. 

We will see though, I actually expect it to be better than the last three by a long shot, I don't think you can screw up that badly, but it is possible.  JJ can direct people when given an opportunity, but if the story lacks it will come out in spades.

Possibly Laurence Kasdan can make a good story with this.  If so and it isn't all spectacle than I will be pretty happy with that.

But, I won't go see it in the theaters unless somebody pays for me to see it, which was the case with the last two movies as Phantom Menace (which I went to a first showing at midnight..oddly I just realized somebody paid for that too).

My annoyance level with the marketing is pretty high, too much merchandise already but I shouldn't expect less from Disney.  

-Scott

Edited by Scotty
2 people like this

Posted

Okay, I watched it accidentally on purpose.

Well, to say it was an exact copy of the first movie wouldn't be totally fair, but it basically was.

The plot "twists" were telegraphed at least an hour before they happened (in fact I figured them out before I even saw the movie, so 6 months before, that was how obvious they were, no really, I am not kidding).   Pretty much a boring movie.

They used the same sort of stupidity of experience they did in Star Trek.  I think it is the writers problem because they always have to make their characters better than anybody else's.  It was exactly the same as Star Trek, just with less cocky because their wasn't a cocky involved this time.

I suppose die-hard fans that can only live with the original story will love it.  The dialog was okay, I will give it that.  Acceptable dialog and acting.

So if I rated it, probably a C to C+ for a movie in general, as an original Star Wars movie?  F.

-Scott

2 people like this

Posted

Aye. Saw it Thursday night, had a few days to digest. Fell asleep in the middle cuz I had been up since 3am that morning. 

In a nutshell: Where the original was mostly a homage to Buck Rodgers or Flash Gordon, pulp adventure books of the 40s, SW7 is more like a SW remix. 

However, it's less for die hards and more of an event film, one that satisfies: hence the high cinemascore grade and box office records. 

Posted

Seemed like it was for die-hard fans for the most part, but again attempting for the lowest common denominator.  Can't have a complex plot, (or any plot) otherwise people might get confused as to who is good and who is bad and who is playing Obi-Wan this time.

The more I think about it, the worse it is, but that is just me I guess.  If it wasn't exactly the combination of the original movies, I guess I would think it was better, but it was just pandering.  Oh well, why I worry about these things I don't know, just want something good I suppose.

I really hope you aren't saying that a high Cinemascore or box office records means it is a good movie?

I am sure it is more to do with marketing and brand loyalty, and director blindness. :)

-Scott

Posted

Scotty and I need to write a sci-fi space opera. :)

Posted

We can of course write a space opera.  Or at least a spacey story.

More comments on TFA, no tractor beam, I was expecting it and didn't get it.  They copied so much of the first movie, why when they escaped in the Tie Fighter they didn't get tractor beamed as it were (I might have missed a reference though).

Abrams does not like OSHA standards, there are never any guard rails anywhere.  At least sometimes in the original Star Wars they had railings! ;)

Star Trek had zero railings too, and looked like the inside of a steam ship.  The flying Titanic.

-Scott