This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2015 NFL Week 17 Picks

3 posts in this topic

Posted

This week promises very little in way of excitement and anticipation, due to a glut of 6-9 teams. :whatever:

Another season in the books, another round of playoffs to look forward to. As always, I enjoy writing about the NFL, even if I'm proven wrong, just like every other prognosticator out there. And as always, thanks for reading!

:cheers:

Game of the Week

Seattle Seahawks @ Arizona Cardinals (-4.5)
Despite clinching a first round bye, Coach Arians does not believe in resting his guys. No risk it, no biscuit. But I think the Seahawks have revenge on their minds, eager to redeem themselves for  that choke job earlier in Seattle. The Seahawks were healthy, playing in Seattle, and their defense scored a touchdown. It wasn't enough. And this Sunday? The 'Hawks lack a running game, and are playing in Arizona, and will not be as lucky to score a TD on a return. Unless RB Lynch suits up...
Arizona by 3

Rest of the Week
Minnesota Vikings @ Green Bay Packers (-3.5)

Even though both teams are already in the playoffs, there is nothing like a division title on the line during the last week of the season. Expect a good old fashioned brawl, a slobberknocker of yore. A steady diet of All Day Adrian Peterson, and checkdowns on third and short. While Rodgers is nearly invincible on the frozen tundra, in a division game, the Packers' offensive line is a joke.
Minnesota by 3

Lame of the Week
New York Jets @ Buffalo Bills (+3)

This matchup already writes itself: former Jets Coach Ryan plays spoiler, eager to knock his old team out of the playoffs. But are the Bills actually capable? After all, QB Fitzpatrick was the Bills' starting quarterback for 4 seasons before they dumped him. No matter what happens in the playoffs, this has been a great year for rookie Coach Bowles and the Jets.
New York by 3

New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+9)
After blowing last week, the Patriots need this game to clinch the top seed throughout the AFC playoffs. Then again, perhaps they didn't exactly blow last week - it effectively eliminated a more dangerous foe in the Steelers. :deal:
New England by 7

New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (-4)
Having beating the hitherto unbeaten Panthers, the Falcons are still basking in the afterglow. But the Saints are rolling behind QB Brees' hot streak. Then again, we are talking about a great WR in Julio Jones going up against one of the worst secondaries in recorded history.
Atlanta by 3

Detroit Lions @ Chicago Bears (-1)
The Disappointing Bowl between two consistently inconsistent team, led by streaky quarterbacks. Due to a bunch of bad breaks, the Lions are better than their record. Then again, according to the immortal words of Bill Parcells, you are what your records says you are. :roll:
Chicago by 1

Philadelphia Eagles @ New York Giants (-3)
The Eagles summarily fired Coach Kelly for being a tyrant, but it's too late for the team since he threw away 5 good players. The bigger question is whether if this is the final game in Coach Coughlin's illustrious career. I fully expect the Giants to actually show up collectively. After all, the loser gets London next year. :lol:
New York by 3

Washington Racial Slurs @ Dallas Cowboys (even)
What a difference 12 months make. The Cowboys were hailed as the next great team, and now look at them. The Slurs were a laughingstock, and now every DC citizen worships at the feet of Coach Gruden and QB Cousins. HOW YOU LIKE THAT? Then again, this is a game that neither team really needs to win.
Washington by 1

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts (-6.5)
There's no reason to watch this game, stuck with mediocre backup QBs and coaches on their way out. Then again, Chuck Strong is notorious for regrouping his team against all odds. The Football Gods may be cruel enough to allow the most screwed up playoff berth in NFL history.

:troll:
Tennessee by 6

Baltimore Ravens @ Cincinnati Bengals (-7.5)
Although the Bengals are playing after a short week, it's hard to believe that the incredibly short-handed Ravens will pose much of a challenge. Their QB is Ryan Mallett, for chrissakes! The Bengals are still kicking themselves for blowing a 14 point lead in the first quarter over the Broncos. It might have cost the Bengals a first round bye, forcing them to play against a dangerous opponent in the Chiefs, Steelers or the Jets.
Cincinnati by 6

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Cleveland Browns (+10)
Even though the Steelers shat the bed last week, they will not have the slightest problem focusing against the Browns. After all, the Steelers have won 21 out of the last 24 matchups. I expect Big Ben to drop 400 plus yards and 4 to 5 touchdowns over the hapless Browns.
Pittsburgh by 11

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans (-6.5)
The Texans are one victory away from nailing the AFC South division title. Moreover, QB Hoyer will be available to lead the team to a shootout victory over the upstart Jaguars and their fleet of quick receivers.
Houston by 4

Oakland Raiders @ Kansas City Chiefs (-7)
While the Chiefs are incredibly hot, they actually perform inconsistently. After a close call last week, the Chiefs are due for a better performance.
Kansas City by 6

San Diego Chargers @ Denver Broncos (-8)
Thanks to that incredible comeback Monday night, the Broncos are poised to seize the first seed in the AFC, assuming the Patriots stumble again. As for the Chargers, they're horribly decimated beyond all reason. I expect the Broncos to run the ball, and then exploit the Chargers with play-action passing.
Denver by 11

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Carolina Panthers (-10.5)
The Panthers no longer have to worry about the undefeated season, thanks to the Falcons. Which means they can focus on the team in front of them, rather than some mythical goal that lies with the 1972 Dolphins and the 2007 Patriots. Totally bad news for the Buccaneers. I expect fresh roadkill.
Carolina by 13

Shame of the Week
St. Louis Rams @ San Francisco 40 Whiners (+4)

Even though the Rams have won three in a row, they're still impossible to predict. However, the 40 Whiners stink to high heaven.
St. Louis by 6

Last Week: 11-5
Season to Date: 150-89

2 people like this

Posted

New Orleans Saints @ Atlanta Falcons (-4)
Having beating the hitherto unbeaten Panthers, the Falcons are still basking in the afterglow. But the Saints are rolling behind QB Brees' hot streak. Then again, we are talking about a great WR in Julio Jones going up against one of the worst secondaries in recorded history.
Atlanta by 3

One of the worst secondaries in recorded history?!?!?!?!?!?! Yeah. You're right. But that's irrelevant!!! Name me the team that put the Falcons on their half-season long skid!!! That's right. Your New Orleans Saints!!!! Anyhow, I really think the problems with the secondary starts with the d-line, Well, then there's the case of Brandon Browner who is playing because of the number of CB injuries the Saints have had. Still, if I were the coach, I'd start special teamer Dixon in place of Browner: he can't get beat more often than Browner does, and Dixon would likely have fewer penalties. With regards to the Falcons, nearly everyone thinks Roddy White has nothing left to offer. I disagree. Sure, he's quite a bit slower than he used to be, but in the past couple of weeks he has shown that he can still produce. Here's what you do if you're Shanahan and if you want to win: expect the Saints to put Breaux on Jones; that leaves Browner on White; that means White will be open at least as often as the TE will be; so, go to White and the TE early and often; that should be enough to get you the points, and it will help open up Jones as the Saints defense tries to think about trying to help out on White and the TE. Yet, none of that will matter, because New Orleans wins.

On to the less important contrarian picks.

Tennessee Titans @ Indianapolis Colts (-6.5)
There's no reason to watch this game, stuck with mediocre backup QBs and coaches on their way out. Then again, Chuck Strong is notorious for regrouping his team against all odds. The Football Gods may be cruel enough to allow the most screwed up playoff berth in NFL history.

:troll:
Tennessee by 6

One word captures everything you need to know about this game: Mettenberger. To put it into a complete sentence: Because Mettenberger, Indianapolis wins.

Jacksonville Jaguars @ Houston Texans (-6.5)
The Texans are one victory away from nailing the AFC South division title. Moreover, QB Hoyer will be available to lead the team to a shootout victory over the upstart Jaguars and their fleet of quick receivers.
Houston by 4

Okay, this is not a contrarian pick. I simply want to exclaim that, based upon last week's game against the Saints, I think the Jacksonville coaches are idiots. Who insists on a game plan that goes after Breaux not only right out of the gates but often when you have Browner on the other side and when the TE gets open so easily? Has Bradley not noticed how poorly his former CB in Seattle has played all year?!?! AFC South teams and fans have to be thrilled with the Jags bringing Bradley and his staff back for another year.

And that's all I have until it's time to force feed some contrarian picks for the playoffs.

2 people like this

Posted

8-8. :banghead: 

Typically, my picks ended with a resounding thud, and the playoffs promise to be no easier. :shakehead: