This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

New Year's Resolutions

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I used to despise the idea of resolutions, for a variety of reasons: people were generally hypocritical or lacked the capacity of following through, making this practice a joke. So for the longest of time, my resolution was simply not to make any. Of course, if I followed that, I had a resolution of my own.

:troll:  

But in recent years, I figured out a formula of overcoming the common problems others had with resolutions: keep the goal much more humble and immediate, but one that was repeatable, and intended to continue. Like finish drawing a page or two the next week. That eventually built self-discipline and by making that resolution a habit, I ended up with an activity with built-in momentum. 

This year, my resolution is to redistribute my earnings to support up and coming artists that I already like. 

What are yours? 

Edited by The Heretic
1 person likes this

Posted

I am similarly cynical of resolutions, but last year I worked so many hours that this year I am determined to make more time to pursue other things. I am going to take up an evening class and book days off for research and writing up, plus spend more time at home. I did have a plan to stop getting up at 0500 to find space for exercise, but that already failed in week one.

1 person likes this

Posted

Resolutions, like everything else, are pointless unless they're not. Whatever model of motivation or activity works for you works for you.

do find it interesting that we so preoccupy ourselves with the means and ideals of productivity, as if producing some material good in the world is a universal necessity. I don't even know how to approach that, though, in any systematic way.

That said, I don't do resolutions tied to a particular date but I am in need of developing a practice of some sort, a daily ritual structure to hang my obligations on. Otherwise, I list about and fuss and contemplate how much I don't want to be doing whatever it is I'm obliged, typically by my own choice, to do. But these rituals feel as arbitrary as they are so it's a challenge to actually commit to following them. In other words, I don't like being bossed around, least by me.

Tchüss!

1 person likes this