This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2016 NFL Playoffs - Divisional Round

16 posts in this topic

Posted

A solid opening weekend for the playoffs where all the road teams won, sent the home teams and their crowds packing, swearing "Just Wait Till Next Year!" 

Kansas City Chiefs @ New England Patriots (-5)

The Chiefs will not be pushovers, but getting a week off might be enough to get the Patriots' receiving corps healthy enough to bounce back from that late season slide. WR Edelman is expected to hit the ground running, and help take pressure off QB Brady and TE Gronk. Moreover, the Chiefs' top WR Maclin is hobbled, which will not help QB Smith take the top off of the Patriots' secondary. The Chiefs' unholy pass rushers Hali and Houston are banged up, but if healthy, they can shred that overrated Patriots' OL. Worse yet, Coach Belichick hasn't forgotten that ass-whipping they got in Kansas City not too long ago. :angry4: 

New England by 6

Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals (-7)

It looked like Rodgers is back to his old self, but that was against a shitty Washington defense. The powerful Cardinals will quickly dominate the overrated Packers' defense and control their offense, erasing all of Rodgers' options. The Cardinals' WR corps will run roughshold allover the Packers' greenhorns in the secondary. The Cardinals are already Vegas' favorite for the Super Bowl, and will not break a sweat before halftime. B) 

Arizona by 13

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos (-7)

Too bad the Steelers suffered a Pyrrhic victory over the Bengals because they'll be too injured to pose anything but a pasty for the bloodthirsty Denver defense, who's rested after a week off. QB Rothlisberger's busted shoulder won't be healthy enough to take and make deep throws, and his top target WR Brown isn't likely to return from that nasty concussion in time. As for QB Manning, he's healthy enough and experienced enough to play and win. :soleo: 

Denver by 11

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers (-3)

Easily the most anticipated of the weekend, this matchup will be between evenly matched teams: both loaded with Super Bowl caliber defenses and clutch QBs at the helm. The biggest advantage the Panthers have is their great TE Olsen, who terrorized the Seahawks a couple of months back. However, it is unlikely that the Beast will even suit up for this game, having mumbled his way out of Seattle.  :tantrum: 

Carolina by 4

2 people like this

Posted

Kansas City Chiefs @ New England Patriots (-5)

The Chiefs will not be pushovers, but getting a week off might be enough to get the Patriots' receiving corps healthy enough to bounce back from that late season slide. WR Edelman is expected to hit the ground running, and help take pressure off QB Brady and TE Gronk. Moreover, the Chiefs' top WR Maclin is hobbled, which will not help QB Smith take the top off of the Patriots' secondary. The Chiefs' unholy pass rushers Hali and Houston are banged up, but if healthy, they can shred that overrated Patriots' OL. Worse yet, Coach Belichick hasn't forgotten that ass-whipping they got in Kansas City not too long ago. :angry4: 

New England by 6

Is the Chandler Jones issue a factor? Probably not. Will Alex Smith take to running more as a way of opening up the passing? He should; he's a good runner - something most folks don't attribute to him, since he's regarded mostly as a game manager. Still, the nagging issue is the Chiefs' receiving corps. They really don't have much of one. And, yet, they win. Will this be a contrarian pick?

Green Bay Packers @ Arizona Cardinals (-7)

It looked like Rodgers is back to his old self, but that was against a shitty Washington defense. The powerful Cardinals will quickly dominate the overrated Packers' defense and control their offense, erasing all of Rodgers' options. The Cardinals' WR corps will run roughshold allover the Packers' greenhorns in the secondary. The Cardinals are already Vegas' favorite for the Super Bowl, and will not break a sweat before halftime. B) 

Arizona by 13

The difference between the Arizona and the Washington defenses is a most valid point. But Rodgers is definitely good enough to cause a Packers victory. Good enough to make this a contrarian pick?

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Denver Broncos (-7)

Too bad the Steelers suffered a Pyrrhic victory over the Bengals because they'll be too injured to pose anything but a pasty for the bloodthirsty Denver defense, who's rested after a week off. QB Rothlisberger's busted shoulder won't be healthy enough to take and make deep throws, and his top target WR Brown isn't likely to return from that nasty concussion in time. As for QB Manning, he's healthy enough and experienced enough to play and win. :soleo: 

Denver by 11

The Steelers are akin to the Chiefs insofar as they so often win despite it seeming on paper that they should not. Then there is the fact that the Broncos offense just is not very good. In addition, there is the fact that Manning is too old really to have healed as much as Broncos' fans would like and as much as the Broncos need going forward. Maybe all this comes together to make the Steelers a contrarian pick?

Seattle Seahawks @ Carolina Panthers (-3)

Easily the most anticipated of the weekend, this matchup will be between evenly matched teams: both loaded with Super Bowl caliber defenses and clutch QBs at the helm. The biggest advantage the Panthers have is their great TE Olsen, who terrorized the Seahawks a couple of months back. However, it is unlikely that the Beast will even suit up for this game, having mumbled his way out of Seattle.  :tantrum: 

Carolina by 4

But what's been going on with the Carolina defense? At the latter part of the season, the Saints, the Giants, and the Falcons racked up yards and points on them. Even the Bucs gave them trouble for a half. Does Seattle have enough of a ground attack to be a contrarian pick? Has Josh Norman gotten his swagger back? Will the Panthers defense play with reckless abandon?

Contrarian pick of the week: Kansas City Chiefs.

And if not the Chiefs, then the Seahawks.

And if neither the Chiefs nor the Seahawks, then the Steelers.

And if neither the Chiefs nor the Seahawks nor the Steelers, then no one, because Arizona is ready to move on to the next round.

2 people like this

Posted

That was a day of statistically similar games that couldn't have been more different. I only watched the latter half of the fourth quarter of the Arizone/Green Bay game, but having tracked the NE/KC game via the ESPN app, it seems that KC was never really in their game. Oh my, Mr. Fitzgerald.

Today's games? I think Carolina's gonna roll, honestly. My impression is that Seattle's O-line is pretty rough and I don't see them getting through with Wilson running around crazy all day. And while I really want the Steelers to win (natch) I think it'll almost require the emergence of new stars. Toussaint and Todman ran fairly well against the Bengals but Denver's had a week to watch film on them. More importantly, no one knows what's up with Ben, which Tomlin might be using strategically. But Manning has, if memory serves, done pretty well against Pittsburgh and the Steelers' pass D is a large reason why they do so well against the run in gross terms: opponents know passing is the path of least resistance.

2 people like this

Posted

With regards to Larry Fitzgerald, I've never before seen a WR take a team to victory by force of will.

Posted

Aaron Rodgers was trying to do that, too. That last 7.5 minutes of football, plus a little bit of overtime, was great.

Posted

Indeed. Back to back Hail Marys? Against a blitzing defense? Terrorize a Super Bowl favorite without three top receivers? Aaron Rodgers is the best deep ball thrower I've ever seen in my entire life. 

And now it's onto Seattle-Carolina! :cheers: 

Posted

I think I win at sports. 14-0.

Posted

This game is just unbelievable so far.

Posted

31-0. My lord.

Posted

This game reminds me of the 1994 NFC title game between the 49ers and the Cowboys, where two absolutely loaded teams played for the third year in a row. But everything went wrong for Dallas: slippery field, early turnovers, missed opportunities, etc. Let's  see if the Seahawks have any character in the face of such a challenge. 

Posted

Seattle, having scored 21 straight, after being down 31-0 at halftime, demonstrates character. But they need two more scores to at least tie, and there's only six minutes left.

Posted

Great drive to the end of Seattle/Carolina. Both teams are excellent. I wanted each to win so any result would've been bittersweet, but I'll admit I have a soft spot for Russell Wilson.

Watching Pittsburgh/Denver and am pleasantly surprised at how competitive it is. Of course Ben's sacked for the second time just as I type this.

Posted (edited)

If I recall correctly, Muraii is a Steelers fan? :lol:

The Steelers have a history of performing well in the playoffs, and Rothlisberger is one of the most clutch QBs in league history. His shoulder is "numb" enough to play today. Meaning they pumped him full of enough painkillers to knock out a family of four. 

That said, the Broncos receivers are dropping easy ones from Manning. ETA: five in the first half alone.

:roll:

Edited by The Heretic

Posted

Confirmed: Steelers fan 4 LIFE OMG LOL FBI!

But yeah, some really critical drops on the part of the Denver receiving core. I'll take it but it doesn't bode well for the Steelers defense if they're getting help from the wind and some dropsies. Not going to happen in NE.

Posted

A hard-fought, but well-earned 4-0 this weekend. Meaning I'm off to celebrate:

:glug:

Posted

I'm impressed by the play in the Denver/Steelers game. I think it was a pretty even battle, and feel it was a success for my team who made it pretty far on 4th- and 5th-string running backs (who were very solid) and without Antonio Brown. It showed they have nice depth. Plus the Steelers defense defended the pass pretty well. I would've liked a win but I feel everything was earned on merit so am not really disappointed.