This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2016 NFL Super Bowl thread

11 posts in this topic

Posted

This will be the 50th Super Bowl, between the Denver Broncos & Carolina Panthers. I hope it'll be a classic, either way, tho Las Vegas opened the game at -5 for Carolina.

I will post my picks next Wednesday. 

Feel free to add your thoughts! 

Posted

Will Thomas Davis get a soft cast so that he can play? What's the status for each of the Denver safeties? Do the Broncos have to rein in their rush in order to accommodate Newton's threat as a runner?

The Denver receivers should be able to find some open spaces the Carolina DBs. But how often will Manning throw accurately? Can Carolina force Manning into the errors which he has avoided making during the last three games? Does a Carolina victory depend extensively on Broncos offensive miscues?

Is a Denver victory in what would then have to be Manning's last game too much like a Hollywood movie to actually happen?

Posted

I suspect the Broncos' defense will hold the Panthers' offense to around 20 points. The question is whether the Broncos' offense is capable of scoring 20 or more. :noidea: 

Posted

Carolina 36, Denver 17

With the aid of a service dog, a gimpy and half-blind Peyton Manning manages to throw two TDs, one of which is caught by his dog. But it's not enough to win. :sadcheer:

Posted (edited)

Super Bowl 50 pick

Carolina Panthers vs Denver Broncos (+5.5)
The aging, battered Gunslinger on his last legs vs the young, brash, athletic MVP favorite? I doubt anyone could've weaved a more Hollywood-ish narrative between the Super Bowl quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Cam Newton. 

But the key matchup is between the Broncos' defensive line and the Panthers' offensive line. The Broncos have the best pass rush in the league, spearheaded by twin unholy terrors in Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, and enough depth (Shaq Barrett, Derek Wolfe, Malik Jackson, Vance Walker) to keep the defensive line fresh and violent for 60 minutes. However they'll be facing a very stout offensive line: the Panthers tackles Remmer & Oher haven't given up a sack the entire playoffs and the guards Turner & Norwell are both above average. Even if they can't contain the Broncos' relentless pass rush, QB Newton is powerful enough to shrug off would-be sack artists and make the throw or scramble for the first down. While the Broncos' excellent secondary won't have much trouble with the mediocre Panthers' receivers, Newton will buy time & make just enough plays. 

Second key matchup: the Panthers' defense vs the Broncos' pedestrian offense. The Panthers are almost as good on defense as the Broncos, and they'll be led by tackling demon LB Keuchly & Thomas Davis, a great instinctive middle backer who reads QB, jumps on weak passes, and covers sneaky slot receivers with relish. The Broncos' offensive line is solid, but they will not be able to control the line of scrimmage to generate a running game. Although the Broncos' receivers are clearly superior to the Panthers' corps, the stubborn Panthers' defense will pressure Manning long enough to force him to second guess himself. 

It will be close, and the Broncos might have a lead in the fourth quarter, just because Manning is a first-ballot Hall of Fame legend. But MVP Newton will make enough clutch plays and seal the game for the Panthers' first championship in franchise history. 
Carolina, 20-17 
Edited by The Heretic
2 people like this

Posted

1) If the Denver o-line can hold off the Carolina rush, the Denver receivers are good enough to take advantage of the Carolina DBs (save for Norman, of course) often enough.

2) If the Denver safeties are healthy enough to keep Ginn from getting behind them (especially early in the game), and if the safeties and LBs maintain assignment discipline and keep their eyes on Olsen (assuming Denver stays away from the defensive scheme used against Pittsburgh), then Denver might be able to frustrate the Carolina offense.

3) If Manning avoids INTs as he has been doing of late (and if his RBs stay awake enough to go ahead and assume any backfield passes are laterals) while managing to take advantage of the Carolina DBs, then Denver has a chance to frustrate the Carolina defense.

4) The key to this game is this: a fast start by the Carolina offense. If the Denver defense prevents the Carolina offense from jumping out to a fast start, then a Denver offense which avoids turnovers can pull out a victory; if the Denver defense not only constrains the Carolina offense especially through the first half but also creates turnovers the way the Saints defense did in the December Carolina game while the Denver offense avoids turnovers, then a Denver victory becomes much more likely.

Conclusion: Since all of the above will happen, Denver wins. Why will all (or enough) of the above happen? For one very simple reason. Because the season has to conclude with a justified contrarian pick, of course!!!

2 people like this

Posted

Aye I will be cheering for the Denver Broncos tomorrow at the SB party. I eagerly anticipate a close game, like last year where no lead was safe until the clock read 00:00. 

:cheers:  

Posted

One other factor worth a comment: Denver has not recently faced a RB as good as Stewart. He will not be much of a factor if the Denver defense can dominate the Carolina line; there is plenty of talk about how the Panthers OTs (particularly Oher) are of dubious quality, but, with Newton running the read option, the blocks do not have to be held all that long, meaning that Stewart can be the difference maker.

Posted

puppy monkey baby

Posted

Game summary: the Broncos absolutely pulverized the Panthers 24-10. The Panthers were no slouches on defense themselves, with Ealy and Kuechly on one side, but Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware on the other side got the 2015 MVP rattled. :whatever: 

The Panthers were down 6 with five minutes to go and they had the ball. Result? A failed run on first down. A failed pass attempt on second down. Von Miller put the MVP out of his misery with his second strip-sack of the game. And that play was quite telling: the stripped ball was loose on the ground, with guys scrambling for it... QB Newton's eyes were clearly fixed on it, but he didn't even try to dive for it in the scrum. The Broncos scored their first offensive touchdown a couple plays later, and that was the ball game. :doh:

Congratulations to Manning for the Elway-like perfect retirement. :cheers: 

Posted

For Carolina, Ealy and Kuechly were certainly outstanding, but let's not give short shrift to the play of the one-armed Davis. I recall one play where Anderson bounced off of him because Davis could not wrap up, but Davis was still all over the field.

As for Denver, I do not recall a team winning with essentially no offense at all. And that makes this Super Bowl defensive performance the most impressive one I can remember. For that matter, the Carolina defensive performance was the most impressive one I can recall for a losing team; they sure smacked Manning around. But, at the end of the day, it was Newton who looked the worse for wear by a long shot; he got hit a lot harder than Manning got hit.

1 person likes this