This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

Tarot

7 posts in this topic

Posted

Curious about everyone's opinions regarding Tarot Cards?

As a wiccan I use them quite regularly (I own 4 decks) and always find them to be accurate and helpful. 

What does everyone else think?

Posted

I think it's interesting that the tarot cards have gone from a playing card game to an oracle to a sort of subculture of the art world. That's not to say there can't be overlap between the latter two categories though. As a Wiccan you might be familiar with the Robin Wood deck, which is designed for tarot readings but has a number of interesting artistic qualities.

I collect tarot decks for the art. I have about 90 decks, many of them independently produced and of limited edition. For an idea of the quality difference between these sort and the majority of what you find in the bookshops, check out Adam McLeans Art Tarot series.

Can't comment on tarot as an oracle, except that I think the history of oracles and divination is interesting. The tarot books I've seen don't have much to say about theory, other than I guess signs just appear to those who look for them. Or do angels or demons channel the message? I don't have truck with any of that, but am also interested in the skills an ideal tarot reader would have to possess assuming that, whether she was aware of it or not, the spread is just a random result without any guiding spiritual influences. I've never seen or heard a tarot reader perform, but am curious about the extent to which the cards insist on a particular reading and how much leeway is given to creativity on the part of the reader.

2 people like this

Posted

I will give an anecdote.  

When I was a kid, we had a tarot card pack in our "junk" drawer (everybody has one of those right?  Where little things just show up?) and so I decided to give it a try.  It was my "Chariots of the Gods" era, the Uri Geller spoon bending era, and so anything alien or supernatural seemed possible (I was 8).  

I started reading on how to use the cards, there was a little instruction book in the pack.  I don't remember any details now, but I remember the cards being purple on the back with a circle with a witch and a cauldron with smoke swirling up, all in silhouette.  Odd how I remember.  Images are much stronger for me.

I told my Mom or she noticed I was using them and she said "Be careful, people take that very seriously."

But nothing I did seemed to make any sense.  It seemed that I was doomed to die at every turn.  So I gave that up as too depressing.

My next foray was into palm reading, which said I had a really long life, so I liked that one better.

-Scott

3 people like this

Posted

Can't comment on tarot as an oracle, except that I think the history of oracles and divination is interesting. The tarot books I've seen don't have much to say about theory, other than I guess signs just appear to those who look for them. Or do angels or demons channel the message? I don't have truck with any of that, but am also interested in the skills an ideal tarot reader would have to possess assuming that, whether she was aware of it or not, the spread is just a random result without any guiding spiritual influences. I've never seen or heard a tarot reader perform, but am curious about the extent to which the cards insist on a particular reading and how much leeway is given to creativity on the part of the reader.

Each Tarot card has a basic meaning. Although each deck is a little different.

When preforming a reading for someone, I find that the cards are usually pretty clear in what they're saying. There is a bit of leeway as I do have to apply the meaning to the question asked of the cards.

Posted

But nothing I did seemed to make any sense.  It seemed that I was doomed to die at every turn.  So I gave that up as too depressing.

Weird! I find Tarot readings to have a lot more positivity than most people think. Then again, each deck is a little different. 

I've been doing readings for people for about 6 months now and I've never once had the cards say someone was going to die haha. The Death card that most people fear, is actually a card of rebirth!

Posted

It's interesting to speculate on the ordering of the cards. For example, it's easy to see how the sequence Empress, Emperor, Pope relates, but why do the Lovers then follow the Pope? I see a possible point to the Death - Temperance - Devil - Tower sequence, but it might just be me. My guess is that there are several disparate schema involved in the design of the sequence, so no master theory to explain it convincingly.

Jasper, if you see the Death card as signifying rebirth, then how do you leave yourself open to a reading involving actual death? Ten of Swords looks like death to me, too. But since it makes little statistical sense to go around predicting death every time you come across it, you have to call it "betrayal" or "disaster" or something. I think you would have to have a pretty loose attitude regarding set meanings of cards to avoid this kind of 'ruling out' situations like actual death.

It reminds me of Lyra and the alethiometer. All the individual symbols have a plethora of different meanings, and she just has to "know" which one is true at any given time. She also gets insight from the sequence of the symbols, which seems like tarot reading.

I would have been to a tarot reader by now to assuage my curiosity about their rhetorical skills if it weren't for a disappointing experience a few years back. Walking through a psychic fair I observed a guy doing some kind of reading with runes. I stood nearby to listen to what he was saying. No inspiration here, not even a con artist's confidence! He stammered a few suggestions about how this rune might mean taking a trip...uh, maybe. It was pretty sad. But maybe my judgment was too hasty and the decisive factor is that it really does require the intuition of a woman!

1 person likes this

Posted

Jasper, if you see the Death card as signifying rebirth, then how do you leave yourself open to a reading involving actual death? Ten of Swords looks like death to me, too. But since it makes little statistical sense to go around predicting death every time you come across it, you have to call it "betrayal" or "disaster" or something. I think you would have to have a pretty loose attitude regarding set meanings of cards to avoid this kind of 'ruling out' situations like actual death.

No card actually represents death itself. However many cards can represent "bad news" "Ill health" etc. These cards can be interpreted to represent recent death in the clients life.

I personally have never done a reading involving death directly. However I know people who have and they say it has everything to do with the energies their client brings to the reading, and the layout/order of the cards.

Each card has multiple meanings, with an underlying theme. Determining the correct meaning for the reading all falls to the hands of the reader and the layout of the cards. Also, different decks will have slightly different energies which can affect the meaning of the cards as well. I've always had really positive feedback in regards to the readings I've done, including many people commenting on the accuracy of the reading. 

I think a lot of providing accurate helpful readings comes from the "psychic" ability of the Tarot reader.