This site is supported by Nobility Studios.

2016 NFL Week 1 Picks

3 posts in this topic

Posted

(this was posted/emailed yesterday)

Welcome back to yet another season of mayhem, madness, and mendacity, as well as mediocrity.

Thursday Game of the Week

Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos (+3.5)

From the most decorated, experienced, big-game QB in league history to a blank slate in Trevor Siemian? Up against a bloodthirsty defense in the Panthers? Still stewing from that surprise upset loss in the Super Bowl? However, the Broncos’ defense is still stout, and still built to stop powerful running teams like the Panthers. Their cornerbacks Talib & Harris don’t need help covering the Panthers’ receivers, allowing DC Phillips to stack the box.

Denver by 3

Game(s) of the Week

New England Patriots @ Arizona Cardinals (-6)

The most amazing skill Coach Belichick has is to determine what another team does well, and then neutralize it. Now, the Cardinals have a weak cornerback, so expect the Patriots to expose that. Their OL can protect interim QB Garoppolo, even from the powerful Cards’ defensive front. Luckily the Cardinals are at home.

Cardinals by 2

Pittsburgh Steelers @ Washington Ethnic Slurs (+3.5)

The Steelers have the greatest collection of talent at receiving since the Greatest Show on Turf in 2000. Even if your secondary stops them, the Steelers can just run the ball with either Bell or Williams. The Slurs, a solid team in its own right, will not be able to keep up, and they failed to develop a running game in the preseason.

Pittsburgh by 6

Tame of the Week

Minnesota Vikings @ Tennessee Titans (+2)

The Titans are strictly a running team, with inside bangers Murray and Henry, but the Vikings’ front seven, deep and talented, is designed to destroy lines and stop Rbs.

Minnesota by 3

San Diego Chargers @ Kansas City Chiefs (-7)

The Chargers seem to have located a running back in Gordon, but can they run on the deep and stout defense in the Chiefs? At Arrowhead, in week 1? Moreover, can the Chargers stop runners? The Chiefs are too well-rounded to stumble this Sunday.

Kansas City by 10

Tampa Bay Buccaneers @ Atlanta Falcons (-3)

In the preseason, QB Ryan seemed to have trouble throwing with accuracy or power. His confidence is gone. Worse yet, his old coach Mike Smith is the Buccaneers’ defensive coordinator.

Tampa Bay by 1

Green Bay Packers @ Jacksonville Jaguars (+5.5)

The Jaguars look like they’ve turned it around, but they still have to win the games that count. Worse yet, they are facing the best QB in the league with a stocked roster at his disposal. This should turn into a classic shootout.

Green Bay by 3

Chicago Bears @ Houston Texans (-6.5)

It won’t matter if QB Osweiler is legitimate, cuz he’s facing a shitty secondary in the Bears. Plus their offense has been shitty all preseason, and now they are facing an angry JJ Watt and a great defense.

Houston by 4

Buffalo Bills @ Baltimore Ravens (-3)

The Ravens are reviving – QB Flacco is healthy, deep threat WR Perriman is back, and WR Wallace looks like his old self. The Bills will not be able to slow down such a dynamic offense, not without their bellwethers in Williams and Dareus.

Baltimore by 9

Oakland Raiders @ New Orleans Saints (-1)

The Raiders are a preseason favorite, given their depth and talent, but their inexperience will still be a problem. Especially going on the road and at the Superdome. They are facing an offensive genius in Coach Payton, who’s had plenty of time to scheme DE Mack and company with his platoon of weapons.

New Orleans by 7

Cincinnati Bengals @ New York Jets (+2.5)

The Bengals are a strong team, based on a stout offensive line. But they will not be able to handle the Jets’ devastating DL (Williams, Wilkerson, and company). Moreover, their superstar CB will leave the Bengals’ WR Green on Revis Island.

New York by 3

Miami Dolphins @ Seattle Seahawks (-10.5)

QB Wilson will run circles around the Dolphins’ defense, and exploit their coverage into touchdowns. It won’t be close.

Seattle by 11

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys (+1)

The Cowboys have a rookie-friendly offense for their new QB, Dak Prescott: if the safeties are stacking the box, make the right read and a quick toss. If they’re two deep, hand it off to superstar-in-the-making Elliott. The Giants are still figuring it out with a new coach and a new system, and $200 million makeover.

Dallas by 2

Detroit Lions @ Indianapolis Colts (-3.5)

Even though Megatron is retired, the Lions will still be able to move the ball and score. Moreover, there’s nobody on the Colts’ defense capable of slowing them down.

Detroit by 3

Shame(s) of the Week

Cleveland Browns @ Philadelphia Eagles (-3.5)

From top to bottom, the Eagles are more talented, but they lack experience in the most important position – QB is rookie Carson Wentz. The Browns aren’t much, but they’ll be more prepared with QB RGIII on a mission.

Cleveland by 3

Los Angeles Rams @ San Franciso Forty-Whiners (+2.5)

Sweet. Fancy. MOSES! The NFL has decided to inflict their worst matchup on a national audience!

Expect RB Gurley to dominate the 40 Whiners, after they remove his pre-season bubble wrap. The terrific Rams front will not let QB Gabbert any time to make any plays.

Los Angeles by 2

Last Week: 0-0

Season to Date: 0-0

1 person likes this

Posted

Oakland Raiders @ New Orleans Saints (-1)

The Raiders are a preseason favorite, given their depth and talent, but their inexperience will still be a problem. Especially going on the road and at the Superdome. They are facing an offensive genius in Coach Payton, who’s had plenty of time to scheme DE Mack and company with his platoon of weapons.

New Orleans by 7

The Saints' o-line was horrendous in the pre-season. Armstead has been hurt; he is probably still hurt. Andrus Peat is on the verge of being a bust; we'll see if he is adequate at LG instead of LT, RG, and RT. Jahri Evans has just been re-signed;he certainly knows the playbook, butis he ready to step in at RG in place of Lelito or Kelemente this week? Also, the Saints have three CBs who have absolutely no NFL experience. The LBs are much improved; the d-line probably is as well - even with Rankins on IR. Still, all this leaves me in the position of expecting something from the Saints ONLY after they show a lot more than they showed in pre-season. OAKLAND wins.

Thursday Game of the Week

Carolina Panthers @ Denver Broncos (+3.5)

From the most decorated, experienced, big-game QB in league history to a blank slate in Trevor Siemian? Up against a bloodthirsty defense in the Panthers? Still stewing from that surprise upset loss in the Super Bowl? However, the Broncos’ defense is still stout, and still built to stop powerful running teams like the Panthers. Their cornerbacks Talib & Harris don’t need help covering the Panthers’ receivers, allowing DC Phillips to stack the box.

Denver by 3

So, this game was already played, I am posting my original position: "I'm going to make believe that Ted Ginn has finally learned how to catch the ball. Because, were he ever to become almost reliably pass-catching capable, then Carolina could spread the field on anyone. So, making believe, Carolina wins."

Now that the game is over, instead of talking about how many times Cam Newton got hit in the head without penalties being called, I'll simply note that Carolina needs to have a downfield threat to succeed. Odds are that they will develop that capability as the season progresses. Of course, I'm never in the least bit upset when Carolina loses -- or when the Falcons lose or when the Bucs lose.

New York Giants @ Dallas Cowboys (+1)

The Cowboys have a rookie-friendly offense for their new QB, Dak Prescott: if the safeties are stacking the box, make the right read and a quick toss. If they’re two deep, hand it off to superstar-in-the-making Elliott. The Giants are still figuring it out with a new coach and a new system, and $200 million makeover.

Dallas by 2

I've been a Dak fan for the last 2 years, and it's reasonable to expect the Dallas o-line to be able to make this a run-heavy offense, and it is rare that a team spends so much on new players and those players gel well. Still, I'll say that New York wins this one simply because it's too early for Dak. But, then, there is the Spags factor. Hmmm. Nah. I'll stick with my pick.

Detroit Lions @ Indianapolis Colts (-3.5)

Even though Megatron is retired, the Lions will still be able to move the ball and score. Moreover, there’s nobody on the Colts’ defense capable of slowing them down.

Detroit by 3

"Indianapolis wins" is the first purely contrarian pick of the year.

Minnesota Vikings @ Tennessee Titans (+2)

The Titans are strictly a running team, with inside bangers Murray and Henry, but the Vikings’ front seven, deep and talented, is designed to destroy lines and stop Rbs.

Minnesota by 3

Tennessee has to have someone playing WR! Right? I haven't paid enough attention to know who that would be. I know it's not DGB. But, so what. The Vikings QB situation is too unsettled - not that Hill's career stats are bad or anything; then again, they might play Bradford, and that's enough of a reason to say: Tennessee wins.

1 person likes this

Posted

Raiders overrated. Saints still suck. And that's all I have to say about that.

1 person likes this