This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Lakatos Resources

1 post in this topic

Posted

The following are links to information about Imre Lakatos or excerpts from his writings, in order that others can appreciate why i have such a high opinion of him. It is hard to find his work online but not everyone may be willing to buy any of his books, so these few papers might suffice to fill a gap. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have or tell me if any of the links don't work.

Here is the transcript of a beautiful talk given by Lakatos at the LSE on the subject of the demarcation between science and pseudoscience, in which he explains why this issue is far more complex than we might suppose. Here he is discussing his own methodology of scientific research programmes, with plenty of interesting asides (although the formatting is not so good - here is the same thing in more readable form but without the footnotes).

Here is Feyerabend doing what he did better than anyone else: criticise one side of an argument and then take up the other. In this link he takes aim at Lakatos and it is nice to see the latter addressed by the thinker who knew his work best. Similarly, here, amazingly, is Motterlini's fictional dialogue between Lakatos and Feyerabend that introduces his collection of their letters, For and Against Method (which i reviewed here). The formatting is a little distracting, but there is a link to a pdf version.

Here is another excerpt from Lakatos' writing, discussing falsificationism. Here is a brief biographical sketch of Lakatos, and here another. Lastly, here is a paper inspired by Lakatos' work that might be of interest (as well as a little controversial...).

1 person likes this