This site is supported by Nobility Studios.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Say hello to the lurkers

11 posts in this topic

Posted

We get plenty of lurkers here, some of whom are daily (or even more frequent) visitors. I guess some of them are curious, others think they're missing something and a few are hoping the site will fail. Here's your chance to say something to them. What do you want to tell them or ask them?

Posted

In a lot of ways, it's better to be a lurker than a participant. You get the advantages of seeing without the disadvantages of being seen.

Posted

I think the first and most important question to ask of our lurkers is what is it at TGL that brought you here in the first place, and what is it that keeps you coming back? Well, technically that's two questions. Sue me. :p

Posted

In a lot of ways, it's better to be a lurker than a participant. You get the advantages of seeing without the disadvantages of being seen.
And what disadvantages might those be? There is always the option of "hiding" your online status as a registered user, after all.

Posted

Lurkers read and do not post,

For they wish only to reference

Not to participate.

'Tis their way of doing.

Lurkers read and do not post,

But we the posters want

Them to post.

Hence the encouragement from us

'Tis our way of doing.

Lurkes read and do not post,

But that irritates us

And hence they should post

Or else their names shall be deleted

'Tis The Statutes' way of doing.

One of my supposition is that they do not wish to participate, but rather they only want to use the site as some sort of reference source. One of the reference sources may be the Introduction to Philosophy series that Hugo wrote. Another may be the Aphorisms of Witty.

An interesting point of view. :D

Posted

...a few are hoping the site will fail

I have a question for lurkers (but since they're lurkers, the members could try to answer): Why are you hoping that this site will fail? Or is it just Hugo's supposition? :?

Posted

If they don't take the time to speak to me, I have no time to speak to them (he says expecting no-one to get upset :wink: )

Posted

I think the first and most important question to ask of our lurkers is what is it at TGL that brought you here in the first place, and what is it that keeps you coming back?[/i'] Well, technically that's two questions. Sue me. :p
I'll echo this one.

Posted

It is possible that some people are simply shy.

Posted

It is possible that some people are simply shy.

Yes, that's why they only speak in internet forums :p

Posted

Some people lurk because they don't have time to get involved in profound or prolonged discussions.